Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater hose rerouting...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, fellas, help me out here... I'm probably just having a brainfart here and not thinking this one all the way thru....

I'm about to ditch my stock radiator in my 87 TBI K5... I'm going aluminum and looking at the economy universal from Summit...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294839040+400304+4294810996+115&autoview=sku

I've read on here they're decent, and construction sounds good..

I've decided to go without plumbing my trans cooler thru and leave it just thru the cooler out front... Takes a little to get it up to temp in the winter, but I dig the 180 temps in the summer.. Plus I like the simplicity of the plumbing and its done that way already...

My question is, whats the deal with the one heater hose to the rad? Never seen that in any of my vehicles... I will need to eliminate that if I go with the Summit rad.. Can I just plumb that line to the blocked off pipe plug on top of my water pump? The other one is the one to the back of the intake, per the normal TBI setup..

Pretty certain the one running to the rad is the return from the heater core, with the intake one feeding it.. What is the flow direction at that plug on the pump? Can I use that as a return, or is it pressure?

here's a quickie pic, figures it would be smudged right where the plug is.... Guess I should fix that leaky waterneck while I'm in there too... :doah: :haha:

[​IMG]

2. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

the top hose of my heater core goes to the intake mani. the bottom hose goes to the left side fo the water pump or top where ever your plug is. So flow would start at the top of the rad go to the top of the engine and out either at the water pump or as you state out the lower hose of the heater core.

Called the electric water pump manu. and since I don't have any heater hose hookups on my pump. he said to buy an adapter that tees off the bottom rad hose for my heater hose hookup, so I guess it is the same with you.

As long as the lower hose on your heater hose goes to the bottom of rad. you will be ok

How was Englishtowne? Later J.

3. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

My big block uses those 2 ports on the water pump for the heater core. This is the way it was when it came out of the 77 2wd truck so thats the way I hooked it back up. Good thing too, because my rad doesn't have a spot for the heater core hose.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On my water pump that's an "in" port, (same location) I'd bet yours is too.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

5/8 to intake and 3/4" to waterpump

some have the 3/4 going to the radiator tank, and the waterpump plugged off with pipe plug

5/8" always went to intake either way

its real simple :D

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, i figured it'd be fine.. I'm just used to pre-tbi, front of intake (where they have the TPS) and water pump for my connections...

thanks guys....