Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater making a horrible noise!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Nov 2, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

My heater fan is making a really bad grinding type of noise, like a belt is slipping, It starts and stops randomly, happens most often when engine is cold, and when I hit a hard bump. It got so annoying I unplugged the 3 prong wire that attaches to the heater box on the fire wall and the noise stopped. I still get heat though. Is there a way to fix this, is their a fan/pulley in that box? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I just replace the motor for $10.99+tax! I own a 76 GMC JImmy!
    Take the heater motor off the fire wall and check the squirrel cage to see if the nut came loose! It could be that the cage needs replaced.
    Bill

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds to me like the bearings in your fan motor are starting to go. I would recommend buying a new fan motor. They are cheap to buy and a breeze to install.......

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

So easy to replace and yet I still have not done it.
    You would think that after a week of driving home in 30 deg weather with just metal floors I would have done it by now. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Isn't that what insulated coveralls are for LOL

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With the exception of the wife's '94 Sub, the blower motor on every GM vehicle that I've ever owned started making strange noises in cold weather at some point. The "lubed for life" bushings dry out and start complaining, especially when cold. About $30 for a new motor, and 10 minutes to swap it, and the noise will be gone. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The blower is attached directly to the motor shaft. There's no pulley or belt. Just remove the nut from the squirrel cage and move it to the new motor. Then bolt it back in and enjoy quiet heat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 76_Cheyenne

Thanks guys, ill pick one up this weekend

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Mine in the Suburban is doing this two. Just havent changed it yet. Been doing it for two years. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ken H.

8. 76_Cheyenne

I went to champion auto yesterday and got a new squirrel cage and fan motor for about 30$ and replaced that thing in about 5 minutes. The heater runs like a champ now, pushes that air out twice as fast as before, and the best part is its quiet as a mouse. Thanks for the help guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another satisfied customer! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif