Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater motor......relay and little condenser ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Nov 21, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Still trying to get the most out of my heater in this cold ass place.The relay on the box that the blower motor bolts to has a four wire plug hooked to it, then the power wire goes from the plug on the relay to a round condenser bolted to the fire wall and on to the motor. Now i felt another buddies set up and it blows much more air, the "ONLY" difference is there is NO little condenser between the plug and the motor so why is it there? Can I remove it/will it help at all?
    Also could some one tell me the correct way ( GM recommended routing ) to run the heater hose's to the heater core.I have seen several ways, which is the best?
    THX guys gals all this continued heater help is really appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Someone may have installed the condenser to keep electrical noise from the fan motor out of the radio. It shouldn't affect the motor. Use a voltmeter to check that full battery voltage is getting to the motor when it's in the high speed mode. If it is, then you might have the wrong motor. Even though they all look the same, some of them spin at different speeds.

My K5 doesn't have the stock setup any longer, but both my '91 S-Jimmy and my wifes '94 Suburban have the heater hoses connected to the intake manifold and the radiator. They'll both roast you out of the cab.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So do you have heavy duty heating or not, and does your buddies truck? You say there is no difference between your setups, so that means he does not have AC, right?

Someone already mentioned in your last post about heating the heavy duty heater option, so if your buddy has the heavy duty heater option, OR the AC/Heavy duty blower motor ONLY, it will be much more powerful than yours. Not hotter, just moves a lot more air.

The only important difference (for fan speed) in the HD/non HD setups are that the HD fan turns faster, and has an air cooling line running to the motor off of the external heater box. My dad has an AC fan on his standard heater box, and it moves just as much air as my HD heater setup, but he has the blower motor cooling port open to the engine bay.

You can't run the AC squirrel cage on a non AC setup though, the fan is too tall to fit the HD/non-HD heater external box. HD heater/non-hd use the same fan, just different motor.

4. twenty_below0

I checked here at the local parts place and they cant get the heavy duty box and motor they said it was a dealer item but we all know how compatent the parts people can be.I will run the return back to the radiator to see if it gets hotter, and call a dealer in another town to see about the heavy duty set up.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd bet dealer item too...no reason to repro that thing, they really don't wear out or anything.

I don't think I'd pay GM prices anyway. Either get it used, complete, from another truck (I'd grab the inner box/heater control head too) or just throw on an AC blower motor and call it good.

Car AC blower motors are the same, if you have one laying around you can try, throw it in and see if it works better for you. Changing the fan isn't hard, even new ones from the parts places don't come with them, you have to re-use the stock one.

Wouldn't worry too much about the motor if you decide to run an AC one without the right heater box, either put some kind of filter over the vent hole on the motor (same hose fitting as used on AC model fans) or just leave it. As long as water doesn't get in there, or a lot of ust and dirt, it should work a long time.

Just some options!

6. twenty_below0

Update: I just got done putting in a HD motor from a junked Burb i found here locally this afternoon....WOW much more air flow! I think I am at the end of the road as far as what I can do for the heating, thanx everyone again for all the help with this issue...OH YEAH I am BLUE again and that sucks I will have to pay so i can get my statis back. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif