Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater prob too...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Nov 24, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Does anyone else suffer from the gutless heater syndrom?? My '86 Blazer is gut less on the heat out put...."High" is like what medium or low should be...i was wondering if this is just a thing that everyone has to deal with or could it be fixed??...Just got to thinking, that when it snows all day in the parking lot while I'm snowboarding, and come back and have to wait an hour to let it warm up enough to melt any snow/ice...not something I really want to do on a regular basis....
    Also, is it OK to leave the hubs locked in and drive on dry/slightly wet pavement with out the t-case in 4? And when it does get slick then just throw it in 4wd without having to get out and lock & un-lock ?????

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try puting a hoter thermastat in also do a complet flush and fill and get everything flowing good. if i am in town i unlock my hubs but when in the mountains i leave my hubs looked but then again i am lazy lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your heater core could be pluged up. I had this happen on a truck I had once. I taped a garden hose to one of the heater hoses and disconnected the other one from the engine.I turned the water on at a low pressure and let it run through the heater core for a while. then I switched heater hoses and ran the water thru the other way. The heater worked great after that.
    It wont hurt to have your hubs engaged while driving around in 2WD. You might loose some gas mileage though. Just dont put your rig in 4X4 on dry pavement.It's bad for drive train.

4. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

My 86 had a pretty $hitty heater in it too. I replaced the fan motor a year ago. The thing pucked on me again last week. I put another one in it and it works really good. It still takes about 15 minutes to really feel good heat but once it's going, man is it hot.

There was a post last year regarding the hubs. It's OK to leave them locked, I do. The only thing is that the front shaft is still turning, which may be harder on gas and may be extra wear on your u-joints.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

HEAT?!!! WHO NEED HEAT!!!?
    jsut jokin
    here in middle NC it doesnt get too cold so my shitty heater dont matter too much, i just let it be cold and bundle up....

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 86 sub., the heater sucked! After playing with it for days, I finally saw that one of the hoses was coming out of the water pump insted of the intake manifold. The water wasn't being pumped through the heater core. I moved the hose to the correct location and now it works great.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Here's a tip that some of you may not know either, If you're running a bigger cam, your defrosters may not work worth a crap since they run on vaccum and larger cams suck up vaccum. It's simple to fix ..just go to your local dealership and buy a small vaccum canister to store excess vaccum so there is a reserve when you need it for your defrosters........it worked for me, I had crappy defrosters but after I added the canister, it would clear my windsheild in no time at all.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Hell, you could use any airtight canister and some hoses for that matter........save a few bucks.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I think I'm having problems with my fan switch. It doesn't like to kick on to high. Low and medium work, but that's it. It also takes forever to warm up, not because there isn't heat, just that the fan isn't moving it. It used to be I could wiggle the switch and get the fan to kick on high, now it doesn't work.
    Is this actually in the switch, or maybe the fan, and how hard is it to change the switch. (the fan is easy since I don't have AC)

Cruisin in my '73.

10. mudhog

that sounds more like a switch prob than the fan and is easy to change just take the front dash plate off about 10 philips screws and then take the heater controls lose and just unplug the fan switch and install the new one fairly simple hope this helps

11. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

thanks mudhog, I already feel warm and cozy...lol

Cruisin in my '73.

12. mudhog

hey no problem always glad to help when i can

13. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey, Blazers are big enough to build a bonfire in the back 40 acres for heat....just remember to roll the window down a bit to let the smoke out! Then ya boot the fire out the back once you get to where yer campin'! The worst part about owning a truck this big is losing things...I THINK I put a quad in there yesterday. now I can't find it!

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean, I used to loose stuff all the time(like my Coke) until I found a center console for it. My '77 K5 was the worst. I seriously lost BIG stuff, like too big to leave without the doors being open. weird...

Fencepost eater

15. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Living in Tahoe, I pretty much leave my hubs locked in all winter, unless we have a long streak with no snow. The gasmilage is a little worse(like that matters) and you have a little faster wear up front, but that beats getting out into the snow every time you need 4x4 for a few miles.

Todd Miller
    Stimpy

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!