Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 9, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

First of all I have no heat. It blows air, but is is not warm. I talked to a mechanic and he said the problem was this valve (see picture) that is between the hose coming from the intake and the hose going into the heater box(i don't know the exact name; it is the box that sits beside the blower motor). I have included a picture of this valve. He says there is suppose to be a vaccum line running from this valve. Mine does not have any vaccum line. Where does this vaccum line run too? Does this seem like it could be the cause of my problem? Thanks for any help. Also if this vaccum line is the problem why does it even need vaccum? [image]C:\Documents and Settings\julianb79\My Documents\My Pictures\2004_01_09\100_0064.JPG[/image]

2. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[image]C:\Documents and Settings\julianb79\My Documents\My Pictures\2004_01_09\100_0064.JPG[/image]

3. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Well for some reason I can not post a picture.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [image]C:\Documents and Settings\julianb79\My Documents\My Pictures\2004_01_09\100_0064.JPG[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to load it onto either this website, or another, then put the link on your post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

5. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

6. rick88blaze

if you want, email me the pic, and i'll post it up for you. here's my address: rdarr96@netzero.net /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm pretty certain I know what you are talking about. It may or may not have an "arm" on it (similar to vacuum advance cannister) that moves when vacuum is applied.

Never heard of them on a truck, but cars used a similar setup. When the heater was switched off, the vacuum switch at the heater control head (in the cab) routed vacuum so that the "valve" you describe shut off, blocking flow through the heater core.

8. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I now have heat!! After about 6 hours of work everything seems to be working now. For future reference for someone with a 71 Jimmy....

1. the plastic case in the enjine bay does have to come out. The heater core in mine was too big to fit back through the firewall. I removed the hood hinges on the passanger side in order to make it a lot easier to get the casing out.

2. The inner fender was in the way for that one screw on the bottom left. The bolts that held the fender in were striped out and I really didn't want to cut a hole in the inner fender so I used a large prybar and bent the fender so I could get a swivel socket down there. At the end I used a hammer and hit it back up. It didn't look too bad.

3. The original problem was there was a ton of leaves and sticks that had gotten all in the plumbing between the blower and the heating core. I am 100% no air was able to make it that way.

All in all it wasn't too bad. Since my air did not work I went ahead and removed the compressor and the evaparator. This made it a lot easier to get to everything.

9. rick88blaze

here is the valve he was talking about.

[​IMG]

Rick

10. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting the picture. I did not replace that piece but instead just ran the line directly from the intake to the bottom heater core inlet. Does anybody know if this will work or do I need to replace the piece. I still do not know what exactly it is. It looks to me like a vaccum line should run to it from somewhere, which I do not know. The air is pretty warm so I assume I will be fine.

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Heater Schmeater... My truck is so drafty that even with the heat working perfectly it barely stays luke-warm inside on a sub-freezing day!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats exactly the piee I described. Used to shut off coolant flow to the heater core. Probably makes vent and AC more efficient in the summer, but without AC, I can guarantee I can't tell the difference when it's warm. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think most on here (at least '73-91) will tell you theirs is set up like mine, no valve inline anywhere.