Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater probs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Dec 2, 2002.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I have an interesting delima. I get out in the morning and fire up the 6.2 to warm up. By the time I get back out to leave, the engine temp gauge is showing that the engine is good and warm, but if I feel the air coming out of the heater, it is frigid (btw, the a/c compressor is disconnected). After I get going, the air warms up and gets hot and the engine temp gauge shows the engine temp going down. The thang blows hot until I slow down or stop and then it cools off to almost frigid again. Anybody got an idea as to the problem?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

check the thermostat. it may be stuck in the open position. doesn't seem right though with the gauge. just a thought
    TJ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Hate to tell ya, but it almost sounds like a head gasket problem (common w/6.2's) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. How manymiles on engine?

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check to see if you have a vac. leak for the heater/fresh air control. a friend had a simmiler problem untill I fixed a vac. leak on his ford.

5. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

The odometer read 53xxx miles when I got it, so I don't know if it is 153xxx, 253xxx, or what. I found out that it didn't have a thermostat in it at all and it was way low on coolant. The heater works well now, but the driver's side white smokes a lot longer now that it did before. I thought it might be an injector, but now that you mention it, I am really hoping that it is not a head gasket. Any pointers on how to check it without pulling a head?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

pop the radiator cap and start it up. if you get constant bubbles you have a blown head gasket or worse cracked head.
    TJ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif