Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater wire Q???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Nov 6, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

finally got to the heat part of my truck and had to replace the heater relay and put in a fuse.anyway the blower came on as soon as i turned the key.but i have no speed control.if i put the switch from DEF to OFF it stops. :thinking: so i look at the lever thingy and nothing,then i see a plug (orange wire,tan wire,blue wire, and black with white stripe wire).MMM where in the blank does this go?now remember this is an 86 cab on a 79 frame.the 86 cab i bought a few years ago from texas.the cab had A/C.it has the stupid vacum to shift from heat to def,etc.so i mess with it a little more and see that the PO put a penny in the harness described before at the black and blue wire??? i pulled out the little jumper and the blower slows down to almost nothing.put it back in and BLOW FULL speed.so is the blower speed lever bad and thats why they rigged it and Q#2 where does that harness plug in?? thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old diagram..

Latest wiring diagram I have is for an 83..I'm assuming the wires that come from the speed control lever go to the resistor for the speeds,on most trucks its located under the hood,off to the side of the blower motor..according to my diagram,the black wire with the white stripe goes to the resistor,and there is a dark blue wire going to the blower relay,amd a light blue wire going to the resistor..

There are other wires to the relay and resistor too..it sounds like someone used the penny to jump the relay to get high speed..better than nothing I guess.. If you need to knowwhere all the wires go let me know,my diagram for A/C trucks is for an 82,but it should be the same or close.. :crazy:

3. boggerless

:laugh: yes sir,where does the plug thingy go under the dash? i'm assuning that the blower quit working for the PO and thats why he/she used a penny?!?!where does it plug in? :laugh: thanks brother

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mmmmm well..lets get wired..

My clymer book only shows the wires,color codes,and crappy sketches of the switches--it appears the wires plug right onto the selector switch itself..and also the switch that changes the speeds..the wires on the speed switch are lt.blue,tan,orange,and brown/white and black/white (I think--the diagram is so blurry its impossible to be sure!).

On the "selector"switch,the one that changes from A/C to
    bi-level,hot,cool,etc the wires are the brown/white,lt.green,and brown..I think they just turn the A/C compressor on ,and kick in the fast idle solenoid..

On the relay , there are 5 wires..purple,orange,dk.blue,and red..plus a black ,a ground I assume..

Hope that helps ya out..good luck..

5. boggerless

thank you sir. :saweet: thats what i thought. now i wonder why the PO jumped it?i prolly need to replace that also. :laugh: