Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heating and Air

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As most of y'all know, I live in a mobile home. Anywho, the outside unit for my centreal air just keeps running and running, even with the air shut off. Any ideas ?? Had a repair guy out today because the line was froze up. But they had me pull the breaker a couple hours before he got here so it'd thaw out. I don't know chit about these things. Think I'm going too have too have too call them again.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

If the line froze, you may need to clean the coil. Or try changing the filter.Most likely, that is caused by insufficient air flow. I am not by any means a Heating and air guy, but try checking out the coil.And cleaning if it looks dirty.

As far as the running all the time, i dunno :crazy: Good luck :thumb:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Had that done today. (Cleaned A-coil inside house) But now the outside unit doesn't shut off. Maybe I'm being paranoid about it.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

oh yeah ,,the coil looks l;ike this, i would just try to take stuff apart until you find it, and when you do, clean it. [​IMG]

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also, if you have an old school t stat, mabey go my home depot , find a replacement and replace that sucker :thumb:

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's not the problem. Even with the A/C shut off (switch on furnace heat/off/cold) the outside unit keeps running. Only way too shut it down it too go outside and pull the breaker. I think something is shorted out, and I'm not going too mess with 220.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

This happened after he left ????

I'd be calling him back . Im no HVAC expert ( my forte' is appliances ) , but it sounds like a relay or contactor stuck .

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not sure how long it's been doing it. I can't fault the repair guy because he got the A/c going. He didn't take the outside unit apart, just cleaned the inside A-coil. It started blowing cold air in the house and that's all I cared about at the time. Ol'boy didn't know it wouldn't shut down. Makes sense why it froze up though, kept cirulating the freon, with filthy A-coil. I'll have too call them monday. (Closed on the weekends)

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Contactor is stuck shut,,either stuck (mechanical ) or voltage is being applied constantly to the contactor coil (shorted wiring,bad thermostat).
    (24 volts to the coil at all times)

I have seen dogs,rodents chew thru the t-stat wiring and cause this,,
    screws and nails driven thru walls etc, cause it,,
    fireants love to make nests in the outdoor unit control panel and get sand and dirt in the contactor,,lizzards and tree frogs and small critters have all met thier demise walking across the line voltage terminals of contactors.

BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER,,GET A VOLT METER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURN OFF THE POWER to the outside unit remove the control panel cover,
    USE A VOLT METER AND VERIFY THAT THERE IS NO VOLTAGE ANYWHERE IN THE PANEL !!!!

and look for a large switch that has 1 or 2 "contact points" the break open and closed,,this is the contactor,,with ALL POWER turned off to the air handler (indoor unit) and the outdoor unit the switch should be open.

BEWARE of the round or oval shaped "cans" in the control panel,these are capacitors and can store plenty of electricity even after the unit is shut down.AFTER YOU ARE SURE THERE IS NO VOLTAGE ANY WHERE IN THE PANEL
    take a screw driver and "BRIDGE" the terminals of the capacitor.this will discharge any residual voltage stored in them.

If the contactor is just stuck shut,,and you feel confident enough to try to change it,I would suggest two things,,first take a digital photo of the wiring before you touch it and then use tape and label each wire you remove.

Then drive to your local HVAC parts supply parts house and purchase a contactor,reinstall it using the photo as a guide.

If the contactor coil has 24 volts to it all the time then your problem is somewhere else,, wiring,stat,,etc.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Holy tranny cooler!!!

Not to hijack--but WOW!--what a tranny cooler THAT would make!! :eek1: :eek1: :bow: :haha:

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It was "Contactor is stuck shut" Repair guy came back out this morning. (No charge) he cleaned it up and it's working now. Monday he's coming back out too replace the Contactor, didn't have the one in the truck., and parts dept is closed on the weekends.

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

It was "Contactor is stuck shut"

Glad to see my 23 years in the trade has not been a total waste,,,,,

Your guy should have found that the first time he was out there,,,
    a total unit inspection should allway's be done every service call,,
    prevents callbacks just like yours,,,that's why he no charged it,,

contactor should cost 50-60 bucks plus his labor to install,,

sounds like he's got you fixed up,,BTW,,runing the unit in this condition
    ( contactor stuck shut ) will cause liquid refrigerant to migrate back to the compressor and can wash out the compressor oil or flood into the cylinders
    and as we all know,,,You can't compress liquid.
    Broken rods or pistons are the result.
    Good call in shutting down the unit when you saw the suction line frozen up.

Good luck !!!

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I saw the line froze again, the only thing I knew too do was pull the breaker. Didn't know about any possible damage, my first thought was my electric bill, LOL.