Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavier duty clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by u2slow, Mar 31, 2007.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Who runs a clutch with more and/or larger damper springs that the norm?

I pulled this out of my Suburban yesterday. The center hub has separated from the disc and slips. :(

[​IMG]

2. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

You don't need more springs just a better clutch. Centerforce maybe.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That is a Sach's disc with maybe 10,000km on it (behind my 6.2L diesel). It looks to me like the damper springs were bottoming out to cause that damage.

I have no complaints over the holding power, lining durability, etc.

Does the Centerforce have better dampening?

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Years ago a local drivetrain parts house woulod provide a 11-7/8" disc that had larger/stouter springs with an upgraded hub. The application was a C-40/50 and they referred to that disc as the "purple/white" spring center hub. The springs were color coded and I assume that the purple and white springs were far more thicker than the standard 1-1/8" 10 spline stuff.

Don't know if this helps ????
    Tom

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Don't know about Sach's but Centreforce usually is a stouter piece.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Centerforce Dual Friction Baby!

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Somebody have a picture of their Centerforce disc for a 12" GM? I'm not concerned with the friction material or the clamping force.

Sach's seems to be considered one of the better brands - plus its the heavier duty of the 2 they list for the application.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i got a Hays clutch meant for pulling trucks. 12 1/4" diameter and quite burly. All I've ever heard about Centerforce was that they're basically a rebadged Luk. The disc itself is usually Luk.

Burt's automotive on King George hwy in Surrey carries Luk clutches. If I had found that out a couple of weeks earlier I would have bought a Luk pro-gold from there instead of getting the Hay's through Jeg's. Not that I'm unhappy with the Hay's...but I wanted a Luk pro-gold from the get go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rene

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Rene... thanks for the tip on Berts, they will find out pricing and availbility for me on Monday.

Did you leave the torsional damper on your NV4500?

So far Southbend and Luk Pro Gold are the only two that seem to have the dual-stage dampers - but require the kitted (included) flywheel.

10. tRustyK5

Yeah, I left the damper on the NV4500...I didn't see any reason not to and I also couldn't see an easy way to remove it. I would have needed some sort of spacer or something.

Rene

11. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i'm running a centerforce pressure plate for the centrafuge weights that make it clamp harder as rpms go up, with a rametalic ceramic brass clutch disk, the only problem is no more slipping the clutch...its either engaged or disengaged. if you try and slip it,...it bucks worse than a bull. took me along time to get used to just letting the clutch go and the truck lunge forward and then smooth out, and getting the clutch wet makes it grip even better because it rinses out the ceramic dust and little brass bits make a better contact with the flywheel

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I've got a 13" Southbend Dual Disk 3600 ceramic behind my Cummins, it has no torsional damper springs in either disk. rated 650 (diesel) horsepower.

I've got NO problems without damper springs. I rather like it over the stocker which had dampers.

Sounds like a shockload bottomed your springs and broke the hub, OR faulty hub to start with...being that new.

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I grabbed a clutch out of a pile of used ones laying on the floor in the warehouse! Is that OK?:haha:PAD!

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

ok what the heck..........its not 12" and its not a GM.........but here it is anyways...........:D

[​IMG]

intermidiate plate on top of one disk, drive tangs engaged in the dish flywheel.
    [​IMG]

stock disk........dual springs = sucks :crazy:
    [​IMG]

15. tRustyK5

Well, there ain't much chance Kevin is gonna be pushing 650 hp through his clutch... :D

Rene

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Has anybody seen/used the ceramic-button "paddle" style discs? I wonder if they have a stronger center hub since they are supposedly much grabbier.

:haha::haha: Yeah - not likely. If I get it together before BD's Dyno Days I'll subject their equipment to my 6.2L of naturally-aspirated fury. :D

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have seen the ceramic-button style disc used in older fire ( water tanker ) trucks and they held up great . I did not know enough at the time to look closely at the hub for extra beef but I do know that those trucks were driven by folks who did not understand how to be easy on equipment and they usually dumped the clutch rather than eased out on it - my point is the disc hub felt mucho pain time after time and they held up for years of abuse.

I believe that NVERENUF ( John ) used a ceramic puck disc behind a stout BBC for years and never had a problem with it. In fact somebody else ran his used clutch ( John went soft on us for a few years and put a TH400 in his truck ) for several years before the pressure plate failed and had to be replaced .

HTH's Tom

18. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

That is what my clutch is.......... 6CB

6 buttons per side (x 2 disks)

I really am a dumbass and didn't get a good pic of a clutch disk. or the flywheel. The flywheel friction surface has an inlay too. its not machined steel.

19. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This is exactly what my flywheel looks like, but I can't find a pic of a 6 ceramic button disk.........

[​IMG]

20. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

That is way COOL ! I'll bet that thing grabs like no other ......

Tom