Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heaviest towing trailer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Just curious, what is largest and heaviest trailer you have towed behind your K5? Also, what distance? Thanks

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had a 2500 pound heavy duty trailor with another K5 on that. Towed it from Twin Falls, Idaho to Pocatello, Idaho. About a 100 miles or so. I was going down a hill when a cross wind hit me. The back started swerving so bad that my rear tires started to screech back and forth. Reached down and hit the trailor brakes and saved my butt. Never did I tow that heavy of a load with it again. Unless you count the load I put in my pants! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

1986 chris Craft 18 foot cruiser 350 v8. Single axle trailer. Don't get me wrong, it is a heavy boat, fish tail's around highway curve at @ 70 mph or when it hits big bumps, the ways to stop it is 1.trailer brakes, (not available to me), 2.go 60-65 mph, or 3.hit the gas and hold on tight till you smoothe it out (not a good Idea in heavy traffic). I'm a type 3 type of guy trying to enjoy the most of the weekend, (not recommended for those with high blood preasure or heart condition)...

Foxman

4. bentbranch

bentbranch Newbie

I tow a 16' dual axle trailer behind my '79 Jimmy with about 2 cords of firewood in it. I drive about 45 miles one way a few time a year.

I just replaced my clutch this past weekend. I don't know I the trailer towing had anything to do with the clutch wear.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

21 foot tandem axle camper trailer, about 5200 lbs loaded. Towed it many many times, the farthest was down to Huntington beach and back home to Vancouver, BC. roughly 3000 miles round trip.
    I use an EQ hitch and the trailer has electric brakes...

Rene

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

24 foot boat. About 7500lbs. The thing was about twice as tall as the truck and had its own ladder on the trailer to get into the boat!

I used to live next to Lake Powell and I hated that boat. It was terrible for skiing. Terrible on gas. Terrible for towing with a shortbed. Double axle w/brakes etc. Really stunk trying to pull that up the hill the city sits on. I could only manage about 35 -40 going up the hill. Maxed the poor little 350 out. Bent the 8000lb bumber numerous times.

I swear it took a 1/4 tank of gas to pull it the 7 miles to the lake and back.

7. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I pull a 21 ft boat with a single axel and surge brakes. About 5000lbs loaded. I also have a 91 with 3.73s. If you plan on hauling quite a ways or around town keep it in drive and at about 55-60. I have not had a problem yet. If you keep in overdrive you'll eventually smoke the tranny.