Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy Cab

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Does anybody know how much a K/5 cab weighs without a/c and with a/c, all interior parts taken out except for the dash and wiring.
    And how much the shell weighs too.
    I need to know cause I'm swapping cabs soon and got alot of extra parts when I exclude one of the blazers.
    Michael W. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot.

Seriously, with or without ac is not going to make enough difference to worry about. If the fiberglass top weighs around 200 lbs, you can bet the "tub" weighs in at least 500-1000lbs.

My truck weighs 5000lbs, and is about as stripped as can be, and still driveable. Take 5000lbs, subtract the 350/465/205, (1250 lbs?) driveshafts, (comparatively nothing lol) axles, (400lbs) frame, (150lbs) doors, (150lbs) tailgate, (75 lbs) all seats, (75 lbs) top, (200 lbs) bumpers (50 lbs)and front sheet metal, (200lbs) fluids, (maybe 100 lbs with gas) misc nuts and bolts (50lbs) from that, and thats about what the tub alone will weigh.

I guessed on all those weights, but still, its a LOT of dead weight to be dealing with.

Why do you ask, just wondering how much of a pain it will be? My dad and I were able to get mine off the ground, and onto a rolling frame, with a whole lot of pallets and a floor jack, but it was not easy AT ALL. It even fell once, thankfully, no serious damage to it.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know what you want to know here but when I was doing a frame off restoration on a 73, full removable top, we had stripped everything of the tub, including dash, windshield, it was just metal, it still took us four guys on four corners to manhandle it on the flatbed to go to the body shop.