Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy Duty Bumpers???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Aug 4, 2003.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

What is a good website that sells heavy duty bumpers??? Thanks...

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

4x4 iron sells some good ones

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

4X4 Iron builds them tuff...

[​IMG]

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

5. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Holy [I love Jeeps]! I will make my own, I could by a ton of steel in which to make one for that price! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4x4 Iron

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You get what you pay for. Butch's stuff is tough and made to fit our trucks by somebody who owns one of our trucks. They are made to your spec so things like body lift or add on's built in. This is not off the shelf mass produced stuff. It's made as ordered.

Sounds like you have the tools and equipment to fabricate your own stuff. That's fine but most people don't have a few grand worth of welders, cutting torches, plasma cutters and metal working tools.
    The price Butch charges is in line with any quality bumper/fabrication shop out there. Slaming his prices is just not right since you haven't checked to see what the going rate is.

The only company that was making anything in it's quality range for the price was SEC and they no longer are making truck bumpers. It was a side buisness to them and at this time their main buisness (making Armored cars and limos) is booming.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do you expect a skilled tradesman to work for nothing? Would you sell everything for the cost of material if it was your company?

If you can build it yourself...do so. Don't go slamming someone's prices though. The man builds an excellent product and deserves to make a living just like the rest of us.

Rene

8. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I never said that his work was crap nor did I say his products are not worth the price. I just stated that his products are too expensive for my tastes. I am sorry I do not have money coming out of my ass for such items but I personally would rather save and spend the cash on the tool or tools so I can make it myself rather than just the item. After the bumper or whatever dead and buried I will still have my tools in which to make a new one and not have to buy another. No offence to Butch.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

This reminds me of a few words...

Built Not Bought /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am sure the 4x4 Iron bumper are great, they look great, but I too am way too poor to afford bumpers, especially when so many other things are in need. I decided to build my own and it is a major PITA, took a few weeks to do the fabricating (little bit here and there). I am happy with mine even though they aren't perfect, and they are unique /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and only cost me about $25 in metal (recycled some existing metal I had as well). I say go for it, take your time, measure carefully, and you should have a decent set of bumpers when you are done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

hey that front bumper looks pretty cool! good job i need to make some bumpers for my truck also and i have most the tools needed in my dads garage along with metal but i will prob buy new metal also for most of it idk yet its all still in the i need to go up there and start it phase.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The hardest part is finding the motivation to make them, which is why people can still make and sell them like 4x4 Iron /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif