Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy Duty FLOOR REAPAIRS and rocker repair rock sliders, TONS of pics

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by jjlaughner, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Last update I'll start a new post for whatever happens next /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

TON OF PICS HERE - If they dont load, right click "show picture"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [​IMG]

OK I'll contribute something that might be of worth
    I think this fender bolt is the hardest thing to work around when doing silders
    [​IMG]
    I'm using 3x3 1/8th wall square tube and I ended up having t notch out about 3/8" to get it to fit around the bolt. What I ended up doing is welding in a plate to the ends (I notched out a 3/8" gap and an extra 3/8" for the plate to go back in)
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to drill two more holes (one on either side of the fender bolt a couple pics up), hold the slider up tight and mark those two holes on the 3/8" plate I welded in to the ends of the slider. Then drill the holes and bolt it to the fender flange. When the slider is mounted there will be two bolt there so in the future if I pull the fender I can still unbolt it and not have to cut it off from welding it (plus I can't weld upsidedown and backward in the wheel well so this is my work around /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

EVEN MORE PICS /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ended up knotching the sliders cut a hole for the fender bolt to go into and then stuck two bolts in the front fender/mount, welded the rear and I'm planning on a pan head bolt to bolt it to the crossmember. I still need to brace the silder back to the floor support and lay the front floors in /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Drivers side is done, I'm going to trim tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how I regapped the door /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [​IMG]

what does a perfectly RE-gapped door sound like? Click here (quicktime)
    not bad for a an old loose rusted out POS that the doors didn't even close a couple days ago! floors are gone and all the loose stuff has been trimmed or tack welded /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

More pics after this weekend when the front floors go in /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

rear floor repairs
    Future plans
    tons of pics from when I brought it home

2. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Re: My sliders, TONS of pics

i'd swear i was looking at my truck, when i look at your non existant floors. i'm in the same boat as you right now, i just got all of the rotted and loose crap cut off. getting ready for the new floors, but you've got to admit the whole Flintstones thing is kinda cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif good luck with everything

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Looks just like my K5, only you seem to have a rear floor in yours where I'm just cutting mine out. It's really nice that you post all these pictures since you're a step ahead of me and it's nice to know what I'm getting myself into. Keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif thats what I done watching others /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Bad Dog has been a huge help to me /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Make sure you post up how they work off-road /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif if all goes well maybe the 24th of next month :fingerscrossed:

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Man you really weren't kiddin about the pics! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't worry they are good pics and its interesting to see that at least one of us is gettin some work done!

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Very creative. I guess I'm going the easy route by swapping in some stock springs... although they are from a '95 2wd chevy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. jjlaughner

what size are the springs on a 95? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. jjlaughner

more pics

[​IMG] cross braces
    [​IMG] Jack test
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG] update on the fender trimming

[​IMG] Put my racing bucket in to test it out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. blazenj

blazenj Registered Member

Have you got those welded to the frame and the body?
    the reason i ask is the body moves independent of the frame doesn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i think he's got them attached to the sub frame which is attached to the body

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you got those welded to the frame and the body?
    the reason i ask is the body moves independent of the frame doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think he's got them attached to the sub frame which is attached to the body

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a body support the runs under the truck next to the frame.. the braces are welded to the that. The supports and sliders are welded to the body mounts, once the floors are done (WOO HOO they are thay are cut and in, just need bolted and welded), once the floors are done the body mount bolts will tie everything together /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

you can see in this pic the sub frame/body support and the frame are to different items right next to each other
    [​IMG]

so no the slider supports are not welded to teh frame, the body will still flex at the mounts. The body support, the cross mounts and the slider is welded together, there will be a piece of angle tieing the slider and the floors together, the floors will be bolted and welded to the subframe and the main body mounts will be welded and bolted to the floors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Right now the slider clearence (with no lift) is about 18-19", I had a 21" jack and 10 section of wood jacking the truck up by the sliders and flexed on the body mounts. Once the floors are bolted and welded it will be a SOLID truck again.
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

so what are you using for the front floor? 1/8" diamond plate?

i need to hire you to mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    that thing has come a long way /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    so what are you using for the front floor? 1/8" diamond plate?

i need to hire you to mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    that thing has come a long way /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me go get my camera and I'll post some pics.... YES 1/8" diamond tread front floors also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

(they look freakin cool by the way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

You make my cage and I'll start your floors /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    guess what my belly pan and front skid plate will be made of /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. jjlaughner

[​IMG] outline of drivers side

[​IMG] both sides cut and bent, getting rust proofing paint /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BEFORE [​IMG]
    After [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Seam in the middle
    it was easier to go in, in two pieces
    [​IMG] the center hump will get beat down and welded
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dimentions we used on this truck... I dont know if this will work for all trucks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    [​IMG]

<font color="red"> Almost done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </font>

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

WOW that looks really good, do you get that stuff for cheap, or how come you use so much /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. jjlaughner

so far I have bought three sheets (I still have more than half a sheet left in leftovers). I think I have something like 3 - 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" diamond plate, 8' of 4x1/4" plate, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20' of 1-1/2" 3/16" angle, 7' -2x3" 1/8th wall tube, 10' of 3x3 1/8th wall tube, and several little things here and there. I have about $400 in steel so far... probley 400 hours in the floors too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

WHY? I like diamond tread /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif the local places can't get anything thinner than 1/8th... plus since the floors going back do not have ribbing and they are basically supporting the weight of the body at th edges it needs to be thicker than stock /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the floors are almost done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DUDE! The floor looks totally awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

It is going to be strong as Sherman tank. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

padder

pad