Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy Duty shackle question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Muddytazz, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why do 4Hill's shackles have the incorporated center strut in their shackles and ORD's doesn't? Is there any reason for this?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Maybe cause the Hill shackles are longer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This was a guess... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I haven't looked that close at the hills but they'd have to be a bunch longer to get a crossbar in there and have it clear the frame. I think that's the key, the length. If you don't have the length, you don't need the crossbar as much anyway.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

The hill chackles are 2'' longer than stock and thier main purpose is to add a whopping 1'' lift. The ORD shackles are 1/2'' longer than stock (same length as 89-91 SFA GM's) and help to keep the spring eye from contacting the frame on compression. The hill4wd shackles have the crossbar to keep them from swaying side to side and I have found that with the hill4wd shackles, the crossbar actually will contact the frame at the same time as the spring eye would have with the stock shackles, so in other words you aren't gaining any performance with the hill4wd shackles, just 1'' in height.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

But what is one to do when the ORD shackles hit the frame?!?? That from starting in a straight up and down position! My 12" Nationals flex so well that the ORDs still allowed the spring to hit the frame. Went to some custom cut 3/8" thick shackles that are 2" longer. Now I don't have the frame hitting problem but am still breaking 1/2" grade 8 shackle bolts like they were twigs!! I finally upgraded to 9/16" bolts at the lower/spring end of the shackle, but have yet to replace the top bolts. Guess I'll just keep changing out them grade 8 half-inchers!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

sounds like it is time to check your bumpstop placement! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I had the spring eye to frame problem pretty bad and after they had mashed the frame in 3/4'' I made my own shackles, luckily 1 1/4'' longer was all that it took. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd try to minimize the length of the shackle to get just what you need and no more. There's not much option to increase the size of the top bolt but you could try a 5/8" bolt with no sleeve and be careful about how tight you get it. It really won't take much torque on a locking nut to keep it in there, basically just snug it up. I don't know how happy the bushings will be but at least the bolt won't break.
    Hope this helps
    SW