Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heavy duty starter for 6.2 diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Feb 5, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hi all! Been offline since sept.when my hp pavillion died an early and untimely death--now I have to go to the library to"read the mail".I thank you all for your excellent info I got here last fall on my 6.2,since I'm a diesel dummy having only a vw jetta diesel before this.I've been forced to beat my 82 k20 4x4 and the 74 k20 badly due to 29 inches of snow in 1 storm last month--havent got to use the diesel as much as i'd like because it got down to 10 below zero,and was very cold for two weeks straight,and mr. diesel didnt want to wake up in the mornings!.The starter looks recent,but it sounds like its stripping the flywheel,I have tried shimmimng it to no avail,and the flywhell teeth arent broken,but they are worn some across the width of it (but I've owned worse looking ones and they worked just fine)--seems like every time the engine fires the bendix drive kicks out too soon--do they make one of those "super starters" like the ones for a gas powered 350 or 454??.Since a rebuilt stock starter is 140 bucks and up,I would like to upgrade to a better unit. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifSo far I like the diesel alot,other than the starter making me afraid to shut it off one it does start.Good thing since the74 is on its last ride--the rear diff cover just started leaking because so much salt on our roads(wagon trails?)ate through it,and the frame looks like rice krispies are growing on it,I dont think its gonna be roadworthy after this winter /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.I've had it since 1990.and its served me well,but all good things in new england come to a rusty end.Thanks to Rene and all the others who have helped my on this site.I miss having a computer and hope to get another one soon,and look foreward to being a paying member someday soon,and not just a "bluebee)! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If you want to upgrade get a 28MT starter. To get all the "details" about it do a search in the Diesel Forum on "28MT". It is a gear reduction starter used from (IIRC) 87 up. I know they were used on the 6.5s. If you do this upgrade the only thing you will need in addition to the starter is the brace that goes on the back end of the starter. Either get one from a junk yard or a dealer.

Hope this helps!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recently replaced my starter and was amazed at the difference. I ponied up for a Bosch built 28MT and the cranking speed is absolutely great! It was expensive, but comes with a 5 year warranty...

With my previous starter I had to cycle the GP's even when the truck was warm to re-start it. With the new starter it'll just fire right up if it's even slightly warm even with no 'glow time'. The difference in cold starting is night and day, I really had no idea how much difference good cranking speed makes for a diesel.../forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyways, the new 28 MT was worth every cent in my books. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene