Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heavy duty studs and lug nuts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL BLAZER, Oct 30, 2006.

1. OL BLAZER

OL BLAZER Registered Member

Whats up everyone I'm here for some 101 on blazers, I've had mine for just over a year now .Its a 1976 4x4 blazer, 6 lug .Its been real good to me, the only thing is this past weekend we where out @ the glamis sand dunes and my rear wheel just came off sheared at the studs I dont know if its because of the 38.5 super swampers being too heavy or where the studs old already. anyways if anyone could help I'm kinda wondering if I could go heavy duty studs and lugs or would stock brand new studs and lugs be enough to take the load?

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First of all what kind of axles are you running and 2nd Welcome to the CK5:D

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah, you runnin stock axles? if thats the case, some new stock studs would work ok. i would consider some new axle action with 38.5's though. BUT welcome, you'll be hooked before long if you aren't already

4. OL BLAZER

that was quick! to tell you the truth I really dont know if the axles are stock or not,but I'd like to know? the rear axle has 12 bolts and the front have 10 bolts, I'm pretty sure Its stock but who knows? anyways I know I need gears cause highway driving sucks right know I get up to 55 mph and thats it, maybe I have tranny problems but I dont think so cause it didnt do that with the stock tires. so what kind of gears is my?

5. OL BLAZER

Oh I almost forgot the blazer does have me hooked already especially after seeing what my could do in some off the sandiest dunes out in glamis this weekend. got pics of how packed it was out there i just dont know how to post them.

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lol...this sounds familiar...:rolleyes:

yeah I have 38.5's and stock 1/2 ton axles...you have a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front so better than me but not ideal for 38.5's....

what swampers are you running? boggers or tsl's will grab hard in sand and put a ton of stress on the drivetrain so that along w/ probably stock gearing and you have yourself a grenaded tranny...again, just like me. ;)

-Avery

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You can do like what I did and buy some 9/16 studs to put in there. Plenty strong.

8. OL BLAZER

so where do I get 9/16 studs @ ? and how big is my axle 1/2 or 3/4 or?

Avery got a clean truck and a clean website wish i knew how to put my pics out there I could show you guys some glamis pics . the tires I got are tsl/sx 38.5 x14.50x15 the only thing the'll ever see is sand cause it never rains out here in the desert.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you've got 1/2 ton axles. how long you been wheelin on em?

10. Avery4jc

Since you aren't a member you can't host them here but you can host them somewhere like photobucket.com then just use the little Image button when posting (the little yellow one w/ the mountains and the sun) then just paste the link that photobucket gives you in it and it'll put them in your post.
    Or you can e-mail them to me and I'll do it for ya'...I can't ever get enough Glamis!

This is the only thing I can ever think of when someone mentiones Glamis...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7070969046966700316&q=canal+jump

-Avery

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Another thing you might want to consider is speedometer error. If you went from stock tires to 38s, a speedo reading of 55 is actually going to be closer to 85 in actual speed.

12. OL BLAZER

I've been wheeling on that axle since I got the blazer last summer but I just started to put them to the test in april when I got my super swampers , headers, dual exhaust and that's it so far.So what do you guys think about my gear situation, should I gear the 1/2 ton that I already got or should I go with something else? I dont get to crazy in the desert yet I just love getting out there where the 2w drives can't go,climb some big sandy hills and maybe pull someone out of some sand pits.

13. OL BLAZER

actually my speedometer doesnt work right now, ive had my buddy follow me on the highway and he's the one who told me I was barely doing 55

14. Avery4jc

I was in the same situation...cost and time wise it wasn't worth it to re-gear my 1/2 ton stuff...most reputable shops wanted about $800 or so to do the job and even if you do it yourself your talking hundreds for parts and even so if you don't get them setup correctly you'll just break them in the end.

So wait it out and find some axles that you can swap in like I did. I found a 14ff with a matching 8 lug 10b front with 4.10's in great shape for $500. Then you need new rims, u-bolts, conversion joint and an afternoon w/ the grinder and some hand tools and you'll be in the same price range as re-gearing your 1/2 ton stuff but you'll now have lower gears and a set of axles that you won't be able to break....

-Avery

15. OL BLAZER

yo avery what is a 14ff and what did it come off of, and how do I know if it s got the gear that I need?

16. Avery4jc

I would tell you to just search but you aren't a member so that won't work...a 14 bolt full floater is the strongest axle that GM made that'll fit under our trucks easily. What we have now w/ our 1/2 ton stuff is semi-floaters that have the weight of the vehicle being supported by the same setup that supports the axle shaft...in a full floater it doesn't have to do that....plus the 14b will take any abuse that you can throw at it.

To tell what gears it has you either have to pop the cover off and start counting or if its still in the truck look at the sticker in the glove box/door jam....

Just do some google searching on the GM14ff and you'll get a good idea.

-Avery

17. OL BLAZER

so does this 14 bolt have posi in it or does it spin one tire ? whats it take for me to be a member here?

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

$25.00 Pay up, sucka! :D

19. OL BLAZER

one time deal ?

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest