Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy equipment operation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruthven13, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the training schools for heavy equipment, eg., dozers, loaders and the like? I am thinking about going to one this summer to finally try to get my life started. Eventually, I would like to get into the demolition aspect of it, like for a company such as Mazzochi. Anyone have any tips for getting into the field? I am already 28 and decided it is time to get on with things. This is a field that I have always been interested in and plus, I would get to play with big toys!

2. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience as far as the schools go. How i got into the industry is I got a job with an excavating company on thier dirt crew running a pan (scraper), moved to dozer and then got my chance on an excavator, as long as you don't mind long hours and painful winters (meaning not much work), it's not a bad deal. I was lucky in the aspect that on the dirt crew if it rained, you could change the oil on your machine, unless you were on a dozer in which case you just kept running.
    If you can't find a company with a dirt crew, you can get a job on the pipe crew as a top man, basically the gopher for the operator. Or the same description for a company digging basements.
    I had no experience when i started and they just needed bodies to run the equipment so they were willing to train. They don't start you out at the best pay range, but once you figure in the overtime you could support yourself. Now is a great time to look that work, the companies are starting to pick up and need help. Hope this helps.

3. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing but I started as a Truck Driver. I got my CDL about 12 years ago and at some point in there went to work for a paving company driving their belly dumps, end dumps, and equipment transport. Learned how to run all the equipment and would run it in the field so I was able to aquire actual experience.
    I'm not so sure about those "Operator" schools...what they don't tell you is that most companies are looking for "experienced" operators. You may find yourself with that school's certificate but only operating a hand shovel until the company decides to give you a chance on the equipment, which isn't bad but I would rather do it without having spent lots of $$$$$ on some school. The company I work for now starts laborers out around $8-10/hour and then as you learn the equipment it goes up. Here in Tucson we keep pretty busy too, winters are usually in the 70's and 80's.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Join the Seabees. There are engineer units in the Marine Corps, Army, and Navy. Used to be able to enlist for a specific MOS-heavy equip operator. Let Uncle Sam pay you to learn.:D

5. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea...didn't think about that one. Seems funny since I almost went back in to do just that. They offered me advanced paygrade in the Reserves because of my experience. I showed up for one drill then changed my mind.

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the replies. I will have to call them and see what the job placement prospect is at the training center. Around here it is hard to get into the field, so it will probably be the best way to go. Hopefully it will work out!