Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heavy Stuff - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Maybe this isn't an issue for you burly guys, but I'm not burly. I'm changing my steering gear box (again) and I only have a 2 year old to help (by playing computer games and staying out of my way!). I can lift the thing next to the frame but can't start the bolts through the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif that was the 2yo giving his input while I grabbed one more cup of coffee.

I do have the bolts started for the steering shaft so that helps a little. The truck sits 6-7" higher than stock, so our 2 1/2 ton floor jack is too short by a foot or so to lift the steering box into place. Any suggestions? I figure on maybe a block of wood or something but I wonder if anyone has a magic tip. Otherwise I might have to go get a neighbor to give me a hand /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ask a neighbor or friend.
    put it up and use a bungee cords and or a ratchet strap to hod it, then start the bolts.
    or use some cinder blocks/wood toraise the jack up and then jack from there.
    im lucky to have my wife that helps all the time.
    Grant

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The first answer is the best but if help is not available...

Try stabbing a phillips screwdriver through one of the mounting holes when you have it up next to the frame. This by itself wont hold it up there but it will give you a way to balance it so you can free up one hand to start a bolt in another hole.

Be sure to keep those rapid getaway skills handy just in case! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is a great idea. I will remember that! I won this time but it was not easy. Whew! Got 'er back together, flushed and filled the ps pump and took a little parts acquisition trip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll have to take pics of that special part that I got, tomorrow.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Great! Glad to hear you beat it! I've replaced the one on my truck before and I sympathize with you - the job is awkward and it sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif