Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heculiner questions

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by hi pinion, Apr 7, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i wanted to put some in the back of my work van, do you REALLY have to sand the whole back of the area you are working with down? What if you are lazy , and just decide to not sand it , just clean it up and roll? Withought amy sandomng? has anyone done this?

Just put it on withought sanding? the reason i say this is because theres ALOT of space i need to cover :confused:

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

also, this stuff is expensive, is there any other thing that works the same, but cheaper? I saw the duplicolor in there, it was 45 bucks VS 100 bucks for the herculiner,,,has anyone used the duplicolor?

3. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

heard the duplicolor was crap but i have just heard that not seen it for myself,

i WOULD sand it good or scuff it good it has to have a rough surface to grab onto i went onto the wheel wells and hadn't sanded the and i had the rest of the bed and it has started peeling on the wheel wells and the rest is fine.

just remember the results reflect the prep time

and if you think herc is expensive get a quote from rhino linigs i almost passed out when i got a quote from them

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks!!! :blush:

5. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

I've used both recently. The herculiner is thicker and much more coarse. It has those larger rubber chunks in it. the Duplicolor is smoother, less rough. I used the Duplicolor on the bed and the herc on the bumpers and sliders. the herc is very tough. I just rubed all the surfaces with the ScotchBite that came with the Herculiner kit and applied it. Seemed to work just fine. :D

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes.

it won't adhere to the metal as well and it will peel/crack/fall-off.

sort of, I did half-assed prep work on just the tailgate on my rig. On the rest of it I worked my butt off and did it right... it has held up awesome ever since. The tailgate I got "lazy" and didn't scuff it as much as you should and it always had a problem with cracking and peeling. Trust me, do it once and do it the right way. If you're not prepared to do that, don't use Herc.

Also, don't pay $99 for a 1 gallon kit. They go on sale at auto parts stores from time to time as low as $65-70. Wait for a sale and pounce.

j

7. NEVERENOUGH

NEVERENOUGH Registered Member

Hello I am a VORTEX dealer a spray on bedliner system. Just like paint is it very important to scuff the area. You don't want to go down to metal because rust will form underneath and start to bubble But scuff the area very good and it will be ok.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Registered Member

I've done herculiner in a couple of trucks now. You really need to sit down with a case of "beverages" and sand everything you can, it'll take a couple of hours and the only thing worse is then taping and masking. I've sprayed it and rolled it and both work fine (spraying goes in thicker). Totally worth the effort. Shop around 'cause i just picked up a 1 gallon kit for $65 Canadian, ($50 US). Really you should do body work, prime, then coat with liner. Still way cheaper than paying for a Rhinoliner spray job, they start at $500 Can up here.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't use the duplicolor stuff it doesn't stick as good as other stuff. Although it is pretty tough I painted my entire sami the duplicolor stuff and when it started peeling it would come off in sheets that were hard to rip apart

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Registered Member

Sorry, i made a mistake, I've used Hippoliner not herculiner but it seems to hold up just as good.

11. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

just got done

just got done with the herculiner. It was a pain in the a$$ but I think the results were worth it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Looks good. I just did my Jeep last sunday with herculiner. Took all day, but I think it will be worth it. Pep boys has the 1 gal kit on sale for $60 this week.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard Line-X is a durable coating.

14. 70chevybob

70chevybob Registered Member

I have both Line-x and herculiner on my rig. The only difference that I noticed is that it cost me 260.00 to get my flooboards spayed with line-x and they had my truck for 3 days. And it only cost me 75.00 because I bought the extra quart for the entire bed, and they both are wearing the same. I have used my lifetime warranty on line-x once already. For the money Herc is the best. Oah yeah Do Prep well the 1st time because I got lazy 3/4 through and now the place that I didnt prep well is struggling.

15. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just like with painting,prep is everything.if the product doesnt stick well tit will come loose no matter what it is.prep is even more important with the self applied bedliners than the hot applied ones like rino and line-x.

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have used Herculiner on a Bronco I used to have. I was going to Line-X the inside of my Blazer. I have a question for you 70Chevybob, it would seem that dealing with the tranny hump cover, the seat bolt holes, etc. would be easier with the Herculiner, is that right? I've wondered what I am going to do about the Line-X covering my tranny hump bolts, and any other spot I want to access later. What is your take on that? Anybody else?

17. Stratispho

Stratispho 1/2 ton status

Anyone used Durabak? I think that's the spelling... I wanna do all of my 85 (including outside) and I've heard Durabak can be sprayed on the outside but you should use Herculiner on the inside of the bed cuz it's the toughest? Any advice for a noob?

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I Durabak'd the outside of mine. Already had Line-x'd the inside, but Durabak would have been fine for that too. I put mine on with a roller. Mixed the color from blue, black and a little red. Prep is the key. Clean, then clean it again with xylene. If you prep it right it stays on and is really tough stuff.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've line-x my entire truck. It's all in the prep.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I like the herculiner over the rhino/line-x, just because if you have to touch up a spot, you can do it yourself.