Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hedder gaskets??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mean77, Apr 24, 2002.

1. mean77

mean77 Registered Member

I was wanting some opinions on hedder gaskets. What gasket will give me the best seal? Are the copper, aluminum, or fiber gaskets better? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eatin jeeps, its an ego thing!

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it all depends on your maintanance on the header bolts. i have had a set of the Mr Gasket aluminum core/felt gaskets for over a year and no problems, as long as the bolts are tightened, you should have no problems.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Regular exhaust manifold gaskets have always worked good for me on my hedders.

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I have heard (never tried), that if you take regular headder gaskets and soak them in water and then install them they make a great seal....

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I've heard that one too. Also, go back and tighten your bolts again after your first run with them on.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i have run felpro gaskets and they have been okay but recently i switched to the aluminum gasket and i love them. if your headers aren't perfect (mounting surface) theses are the ticket.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If they are anything like collector gaskets get aluminum ones. I kept blowing collector gaskets like once a month switched to aluminum ones and haven't had a problem in 4months now. I plan on switching to aluminum header gaskets this summer as I am developing a leak with my current ones.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Where can you get the aluminum gaskets, don't think I have seen them before?

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just about every parts store carries them. You may have to ask.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have those funny aluminum coated ones. However, I was told, (I didn't believe it) to use Bronze Copper silicone gasket maker stuff. This is the most expensive silicone gasket on the shelf. It's supposed be good to 750 degrees.

Anyways, I put it on my headers (aluminum) and my collectors (cardboard looking ones). Has not leaked since.

NOTE: Maker sure you get the O2 sensor safe kind! Especially if you have an O2 sensor like me!

This has been on my truck for 2 years now. No problems!
    BTW: I have poly engine mounts and hard mounted (no rubber) the exhaust mufflers to the frame.

13. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

TopOff, Ya' stole' my thunder! I was reading this post and getting ready to spring that one on'em but ya' beat me to it. My buddy wrenches on race cars, roundy-rounders and drags, and he said even NASCAR uses the stuff and that made it good enough for me! Hasn't leaked yet! I also cut and contoured my header flanges.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Bust out the sawsall and cut the flanges between the inner and outer tubes and they will seal better.

15. twojoints444

twojoints444 Registered Member

any one elts do this? did it help

16. bailey9r

bailey9r 1/2 ton status

Yes and some of the better header companies do it like that from the factory, they can "mold" to the head better.

17. scottsdale86

scottsdale86 1/2 ton status

Go back to manifolds. EVERY single pair of headers i have ever had on a my 86 has leaked. I have tried the edelbrock, headman etc. Went back to stock not one leak. Headers unless the full length kind dont make any real noticeable power gains. at least on my truck it didnt. I have 290hp gm crate engine with a stock intake and new quadrajet and 700r4 with 4.10 gearing on 35's, Biggest bang for my buck was the carb. I have tried percy's xtra thick aluminum, Mr. G's grey, copper thick ones and white paper gaskets. Nothing worked.

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've run Hooker comps quite a few times with excellent results... I've NEVER had a set leak at the head, and only one leaked at the collector.. which i blame myself for never retorqueing them.. all of that using regular cheesy header gaskets... 3 bolt collectors are the least desirable design, tho doable if you keep your eye on em.. ball/socket are nice, but i run slip-fit whenever possible... bulletproof....