Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hedder Gaskets>>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Wich type works best:
    1st~ the heads are square and the hedders are round, so round hole type gasket or square hole type?
    2nd ~ material type, Soft aluminum, copper, paper, paper sprayed down with copper spray, other??

I have a set of Hedman Elite series on order and I am just gathering up the harware for install/swap.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used the gaskets that came with my cheapy Heddmans and they lasted for 2 years of abuse and 3 years in he garage with no leaks. I have a set of the Earl's dead soft gaskets that I never put on because the stock gaskets never leaked. I also have a set of stage 8 locking header bolts that I never put on for the same reason... So my advice is to buy the expensive stuff but don't install it and you should be leak free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha
    Ya yer probly right!!
    Being that thease hedders have a thick flange I am hopeing I won't have any leaking issues even with the paper gaskets that come with the hedders. A friend of mine swears by that copper spray stuff on paper type gaskets?? May have to give that a try? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've heard that the absolute best way to get leak-free headers is to cut the flange into 3 parts, between cylinder #s 1&amp;3, 5$7, 2&amp;4, and 6&amp;8. Not sure If I'd do this until it was a last resort though, since your warranty will be pretty much void if you do it.</font>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I did that to the set I have on my rig now. I cut the flanges before they were installed and they lasted about 6yrs before the flange warped. Thease were the thiner Hedmens not the Elite(thicker) one I have comming to me. I will not be cutting the flanges again. Seams like a good idea but doesn't cure the warping issue on thinner flanged hedders. May have delayed the warping but didn't cure it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess at this point I just want to know if round gaskets should be used or square??

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Burt- I'd get the gasket that matches the header.
    I had round port gaskets before because i had round port header... my new hooker comp headers are square port and came with the square port gasket to match the header.

I bought those stage 8 locking header bolts and they ROCK! I just use paper gaskets and never had a problem as long as i've had the stage 8 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have them on my camaro and my blazer because i'm tired of changing header gaskets... It's worth it to me to buy those locking header bolts because you'll never have to change one of those gaskets again!
    Next time you need to pull the headers off though it's kinda fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Seriously, if i bought those locking header bolts right off the bat, when i bought my truck i'd probally have saved money from all the gaskets i've replaced.