Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hedman Elite headers, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 11, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Gonna need headers on my 89 Burb when I drop the 383 in. Thinking Hedman Elites will be best. Nice thick flanges to prevent warping cause this thing will see plenty of highway time, and coating should keep them nice for a good amount of time. Anyone have experience with these things? $260 from Summit is more than I like(never paid more than $99 for headers, but hey quality usually costs a little more.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have them in my truck, but I do in the 'cuda. I really like them, better than the Summit brand, Hookers, and regular Hedmans I've had before. Haven't had any leak problems, and the coating still looks good.

FYI, when I installed them I tried using the copper seal gaskets, and that did not work. I put their gaskets in, and haven't had a problem.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Make sure you can get the right Ball and Socket reducer for them. I fought this problem, and nobody would have them until late Aug. The ones supplied with the set of 69090 went from (their version of a 3" collecter) down to 2". I was like WTF???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If you are in a hurry to get them, an exhaust shop that has a 2.75" Buick Ball can make the pipe that will mate up to the collecter. Please check first and let my headache be to your advantage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Those 69090's fit like crap anyways. I wound up buying a set of Hooker Comps #2453. They fit like a dream.

Anyone want a set of Hedman #69090's for cheap? Only run a few hours.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not sure if it matters but the 69090s you are talking about are the cheaper constructed and cost headers. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

But they still have the ball and socket collecter like the Elites you are looking at....

The reducers in the box were very thin material.....

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doug Thorley Tri-Y. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ran them in my 72 when I had the 350 in it. I loved them! They fit great and tucked up to the frame nicly. The thick flange is awsome too. The coating never changed color.
    With my BBC I switched to Thorleys only for the added torque. The thorleys will hang lower than the frame but they match my build up better. Notin like a torque building RAT!!
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!!

Ooops sorry got a little excited...cain't wait to drive my 'new' K5..... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got them.

First off, break in the new engine on manifolds for quite awhile. I'd say at least a couple of HOURS.

Every experience is going to be different, but 15 minutes of break in wasn't enough on mine...it ran hot and ruined the coating near the heads. Oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seemss to be a huge difference in the Elites and non-elites.

Only problem I have with mine that should really be corrected in production is that there is a bit of clearance issue at the shackle bolts, but I fixed that with first a ratcheting tie down when they were cold, then when hot wedging a 2x4 between the frame and header, and bending them inwards a bit more.

Some other minor things I'd correct if it were MY company, but no worse than other header designs.