Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hedman Elite Headers: Where does this gasket go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBen, Nov 18, 2002.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, so this may be a very Stupid **Newbie** question:

I just bought a set of Hedman Elite headers, the ones with the "thermal coating". The collector ends in a ball shape, and the reducer bolts to it with a flared cone shape.

The collector has a clamp plate on the primary side of the ball and there is also a loose clamp plate in the bag. They both have the very normal looking triangular shape with three bolt holes. Also, a matching triangular gasket with three holes was included.

So, the question is... where the ^%&$# does the gasket go? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The flared cone on the reducer fits VERY nicely against the collector ball, the angle they meet at doesn't make the gasket look like it fits there at all. And it seems almost pointless to put the gasket between the reducer and the loose clamp plate.

And of course, the instructions don't mention any of this at all.

So, we just threw the gaskets on the bench and bolted everything together this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif (I know I'll probably live to regret this move.)

If anyone has seen this before and can help, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Ben

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Does the collector end look like this? [​IMG] This is a different type of connection and is supposed to be a lot better than the standard 3 bolt reducer. If this is the case then you wont need the collector gaskets you have.

3. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, the ball/socket joint in your picture looks very much like the one that I have.

I suppose that's good news that I didn't need those gaskets. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now what to do with those gaskets.....
    Maybe convince my roommate that they're head gaskets for his Miata?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Ben