Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hedman hedders hit!!! UPDATE: found a set that fits (part number inside)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 22, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Against my better judgement I cheaped out and ordered some Hedman standard hedders for my '89 K5. For $135 I figured they weren't bottom line and not top of the line and they would fit nicely. When I installed them I noticed not all of the bolt holes lined up perfectly and once I started to snug everything down I realized they were hitting my shackle bolt!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm really not happy with that at all. Has anybody else had the same problem with these hedders or did I just get a bad set? I'm thinking about returning them and getting something a little better, maybe even shorties if this is a problem with all long tube styles. What a bummer /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Hedman hedders hit the shackle!!!

I bought some cheapie Dynomax headers for around $80 at Parts America. The problem I had was that the shackle bolt would hit the 3 bolt collector flange when the suspension moved. I did not worry about it because I have the exhaust shop cut the flange off and weld the pipe directly to the collector. Another option may be to take the shackle bolt out and put it in the other way. If you ever need to remove the bolt again and the exhaust is in the way just remove the upper shackle bolt first and then lower the spring down to remove the bottom bolt.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I had the same exact problem when I ordered my headmens and they didnt have a answer as to why they didnt fit so I sent them back and got hookers, they are alot better quality and they fit perfectly, If they are just touching a little bit you might be able to "adjust" them with a BFH, but if there are hitting major like mine where I would send them back and get the hookers, they are about the same price and they are MUCH nicer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Chris

4. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought some cheapie Dynomax headers for around $80 at Parts America. The problem I had was that the shackle bolt would hit the 3 bolt collector flange when the suspension moved. I did not worry about it because I have the exhaust shop cut the flange off and weld the pipe directly to the collector. Another option may be to take the shackle bolt out and put it in the other way. If you ever need to remove the bolt again and the exhaust is in the way just remove the upper shackle bolt first and then lower the spring down to remove the bottom bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would flip the bolt, or just cut off the extra length but my bolts are greasable and flipping it would defeat the whole purpose of them. Also, even with the bolt clearanced a little they will hit when the engine rocks in the mounts. I guess I could cut and weld or just bash with a hammer but that's a lot of work. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you go to shorties, wont there be a problem getting access to certain spark plugs?

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would flip the bolt, or just cut off the extra length but my bolts are greasable and flipping it would defeat the whole purpose of them. Also, even with the bolt clearanced a little they will hit when the engine rocks in the mounts. I guess I could cut and weld or just bash with a hammer but that's a lot of work. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that sounds a little too close. I have some Hedman headers that were on my K5 when I had it and they ran right next to the starter about 7" away from the shackle. Maybe the ones I have are for a car? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Which part no? My Heddmans fit so bad I switched to Hookers too. Should have gotten what I wanted in the first place instead of what was available at the time.

Patience IS a virtue....

8. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i got some flowtechs from autozone for like 75$, the fit like a glove and have a liftime warrenty /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

My headmans hit 2 when i installed them. i didnt realize it till every thing was all done and i let it down off the lift. I just drove it and let them clearence themselves. It is all good now but i would have much rather just gone with the hookers.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My "Elites" hit the shackle bolt too, and no, flipping the bolt around doesn't get you enough clearance.

Talked to Hedman, it's because my truck is "lifted". Of course since it isn't, the chat degenerated at that point, I knew I wasn't getting anywhere. Stupid thing is, there is no reason for the interference.

Since I had to weld something to the headers anyways, I went ahead and installed them. Used a ratcheting tie down to a tree on the opposite side of the truck to clearance them first, then after it was running, (nice and hot so they would "set" better) used a 2x4 between the frame and bottom of header, and reefed on it. Looks like it clears fine now.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My $210 coated dynomax headers have been hitting that bolt for years. I tried the ratchet strap thing and it didn't work, so I left it.

[darn] it....

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    My $210 coated dynomax headers have been hitting that bolt for years. I tried the ratchet strap thing and it didn't work, so I left it.

[darn] it....

[/ QUOTE ] Mine too, That sucks.......

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, what part number did you get.. Sounds like you may have gotten the 89+ new body style truck ones. I actually just bought these(89+ New body style) and they fit my 89 truck perfectly! Didn't have to modify them at all, didn't hit anywhere, etc.... I was very happy with the fit of these... Oh and they were the Hedman Street Hedder.

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem with the headers on my truck when I bought it. Hedman makes a 4x4 header that the collector is about 3-4 inches higher. I bought those and have no problems.

15. dyeager535

Do you have a part number?

Guess I should go to the site and check it out, but I definitely chose mine from the truck section. part number 69890 IIRC.

16. TruckNutzDude

<font color="red"> part number 69090 </font> I think the guy ordered me the wrong set. My buddy is running them on his '79 stepside and they are much shorter than the ones I have and they clear the shackle with no problems. Mine have the ball and socket style flange and his have the flat style though, maybe they changed the whole design with the flange? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. dyeager535

Ball and socket when I bought mine meant they were the elite series. Cheapies were still flat gasket IIRC.

18. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll see if I can find it. A local shop helped me out and knew exactly what I was looking for. I also went with 1-5/8" primaries to cove the "D" port.

19. dyeager535

According to hedmans site, 69890 and 69090 are the same piece, just uncoated in the 69090 case.

So they aren't wrong, they just don't fit perfectly. Raising them up about 4" would be perfect to mate up to the stock exhaust routing in my case, had to come up with an angled piece to make them work.

20. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Granted, it's been a while, but I bought my Hooker Competition headers for $144. They're rusting quite well but I had no clearance problems other than having to remove the bumpstop that hit the top of the differential case.