Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hedman or Hooker headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Apr 26, 2004.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    Just a real quick question. I know that Hedman and Hooker are not extremely good headers, but if you had to choose which would you put on your rig. I'm a starving college student, so I can't afford the high quality stuff yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks for the input guys

--Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i consider headman and hooker good headers /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i would run the headmans.
    i have the $65 autozone headers in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i was always under the impression that the Hookers were one of the better brands out there, i have Heddmans on a Nova here, don't care for them too much, they block a couple of the spark plugs pretty bad. Hard to remove them, one i have to use a wrench to remove it.

4. nau81blazer

Thanks for the help guys! Anyone else?
    -Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, for the Hedman's, there are at least two different "qualities".

The elites are what I got, around $200 from Summit or Jegs IIRC.

Not having dealt with headers before, but listening to those that have, these are good headers.

The head flange surface is thick, the connection for the exhaust pipe is much better than the flat style of most other headers, and the coating seems to be pretty durable.

Plug access is good to excellent, obviously not as easy as with under the plug manifolds, but not that difficult to get to, likely because the truck just has room next to it where cars usually don't. Of course, I don't have an AC box in the way either, not sure how that affects plug access.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've used Hookers, Summit, and Hedman brand headers and I like the Hedman best so far. The Elites are ceramic coated and come with 3/8" flanges and 14ga primaries. They are $260 at Summit. You can get cheaper headers, but the biggest problem will be only a 1/4" flange which tends to warp.

-Scott

7. nau81blazer

Sounds like the Hedmann Elites are a pretty good buy. Thanks for the input guys.
    -Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set of long tube Hooker Comps and think they are a decent header. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On the cars (Hot Rods) I will only use HOOKER comps. I always go for the "Thermal Barrier Coated" ones.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hookers, Dang fine headers....

Avoid Flo-Techs like the plague....

11. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Right...

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I've got the cheaper Hedman Hedders on my big block in my truck. They fit well, spark plug access is good, I'm satisfied with 'em!

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Hooker

I've made flowtechs and hedmans work but hooker would be my first choice. For a couple reasons.
    1) I seem to have fewer issues with plug wires with hooker.
    2)Collector flanges are welded to the collector( which is something I do to other brands) so they are less likely to leak.
    3) Header bolts seem to line up more easily.
    4)Collectors seem to be higher in the chasis and point in the right direction. This makes hooking up an exhaust that has good clearance easier.

I don't know about coatings as I've never used em. Most headers will work but for the little difference in $$$ I'd go with Hooker. These opinions are based on my experiences with headers for SBC and BBC.

A friend of mine has angle plug aluminum heads( I think AFR) on his 400. He bought Hedmans cause they were supposed to be designed specifically for angle plug heads. He had to beat the crap out of em to make em fit, "massage" 3 tubes so the plugs would clear and he still has to use the asbestos boots to keep the wires from getting burned. He also cut the flanges so the tubes would bolt to the head and seal properly after he stripped a couple holes trying to get them to bolt up and tighten the bolts. If you've got angle plugs, don't buy Hedman.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have dynomax headers, jet hot coated and no complaints.

15. ban-one

ban-one Registered Member

I used hedman headers on my T/A. They didn't fit very well and I had to plane mill the surfaces. They are still leaking. I'm disappointed by hedman headers.

16. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have dynomax headers, jet hot coated and no complaints.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i've got.... and i love them! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. nau81blazer

How much are those Dynomax headers? Thanks,
    --Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this? I'm doing headers on my truck right away and the guy at the parts store says there is absolutly no reason to go to the hedmans or the hookers. He said the design is almost identical and they are around $200 cheaper than the hookers were.

$380 for ceramic coated flowtech headers
    $580 for the hookers.

Are the flow-techs really that bad that I should try and save up an extra $200?

sorry to hijack but i can't see starting a new thread for this. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this? I'm doing headers on my truck right away and the guy at the parts store says there is absolutly no reason to go to the hedmans or the hookers. He said the design is almost identical and they are around $200 cheaper than the hookers were.

$380 for ceramic coated flowtech headers
    $580 for the hookers.

Are the flow-techs really that bad that I should try and save up an extra $200?

sorry to hijack but i can't see starting a new thread for this. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Think about it, quality usely cost more up front, but will last. Aswhere the El Cheapos normally don't last. There is a old saying, "You get what you pay for" so with that thought, I'll order Thorleys when I go to headers on my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well I'm just going by what the parts store guys said about the design being almost identical. I was more just curious about what exactly it is that makes them inferior product.

they come with a garauntee that they wont discolor with the ceramic coating.

Anyone got any input?

I really don't want to pay an extra $200 for the name if the headers don't have any major differences. I know that that is quite often what you are paying for when dealing with large companies.