Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79 K5, Apr 9, 2000.

1. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

Just changed out the plugs and wires on my '79 K5. One of the plugs broke off while I was trying to loosen it, and I can't get the threaded part out! The metal piece that grabs the socket came out, so there's no way to grip the plug stuck in the truck! To make things worse, it's one of the plugs that are hard to get to. Anybody got any ideas? Any sympathisers out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got the damn brakes workin' now this! If it's not one thing, it's another.

-Jesse

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You may be able to extract it by taking a Dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel and grinding a slot in the top of what's left of the plug, then backing it out with a flathead screwdriver. i've done this with a few different kinds of bolts, just be carefull</font color=blue>

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    You are going to hate me for this, but I'd seriously suggest removing the head. Its the safest way to go about it. If you drop any parts into the cyl you will be seriously screwed on startup. Removing the head would be the safest & most practical way to go about it. If you keep running into problems, you can just take the head to a shop.

Corey

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

got a potato? works for light bulbs.

5. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with Corey. Your up the creek on this one.

As an option that may lead to the same end, you might try this:

Remove the exhaust system on that side to give you working room. With a shop vac cut the slot previously meantioned and or remove the remaining insulator. The vac will pull anything heading south out. If ANYTHING falls in the motor your at the pull the head stage and part of your work is done already. What your hoping for here is that the remainder of the insulator will get sucked in to the shop vac and you can use an easy-out ot remove the spark plug.

Good luck and take your time...lots of it.

6. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

W/ the power off...

7. Brad

Brad Registered Member

That sucks.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

You get something known as a "pigtail" broken bolt remover. You drill a smal hole and this device is treaded to the left ,so when you screw it in it will grab hold of the remains and twist it out. Use plenty of WD-40 first.
    A nice tool to have around for future screwupps!
    Good luck

http://sites.netscape.net/espensplace/homepage