Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heeelllpppp!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Oct 23, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I am trying to replace the wheel studs on my 14sf and I have no idea what I am doing. I was told since it was switched to disks I had to pull the axle shaft out. How do I do that?

[​IMG]

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Take out the bolt on the right side in the carrier, then that block will come out (that actually looks like a bol tot hold the carrier togather. If its not that bolt then spin the carrier 180* and there should be a bolt, usually 8MM head), then you can push the axles in and the c clips will fall off. Since its disks, youll have to take off the calipers before the axle will push in.

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take out the bolt on the right side in the carrier, then that block will come out (that actually looks like a bol tot hold the carrier togather. If its not that bolt then spin the carrier 180* and there should be a bolt, usually 8MM head), then you can push the axles in and the c clips will fall off. Since its disks, youll have to take off the calipers before the axle will push in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it, thanks. Now when I take the shaft to get the new studs put it do I need to take them somewhere and get them pressed in? Or do I just tap them in with a hammer?

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Use a brass hammer to remove the wheel studs. If you use a regular hammer, it will "mushroom" the top of the studs, and they will not come out the hole that they are seated in.

5. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Use a brass hammer to remove the wheel studs. If you use a regular hammer, it will "mushroom" the top of the studs, and they will not come out the hole that they are seated in.

[/ QUOTE ]

do I put them in the same way? or do I need to get them pressed? Thanks

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should try to install them with a brass hammer because it will not hurt anything, but if that does not do it, then you may have to have them pressed in.

7. nomo4x4

nomo4x4 Guest

I'd recomend pressing the new ones in...:)