Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heep body on Blazer frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brady, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have been toying with putting a Cj-5 body on my '73 Blazer frame.I already have a '75 CJ5 sitting that I was planning on building.But I like the wheelbase and width of my Blazer.Just don't like the width of the body.It is getting narrower though.I was thinking of leaving the heep body stock and adding a box behind to fill the space.Since the overall lengths are different.What do you guys think?I just think this might be easier and cheaper than building the heep.If I build the heep I would be starting from scratch.It has no drivetrain right now.And the Blazer is running and working great.Just the body is hammered from 1 too many tight spots!Brady

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Personaly If I was to build another body swap I would use a stock frame and just transfer the drivetrain ove, build ne mounts for all the componants.
    things you have to look at:
    front approach and engine room
    rear departure and gas tank
    engine to fire wall clearence

But for a quick swap and a toy only, I'd just throw that body on it and wheel it,LOL.

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

BLASPHEMY!

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

My plans were to put all chevy under the Heep.But I don't like the short wheelbase.I like the wheelbase of the blazer.Just the body is tooooo wide for the trails I like to do.I have been wheeling this Blazer for 3 years and every year it is getting rougher and rougher as I hit harder trails.I did 21 Road last Sat.And put a dent in every corner of it!Brady

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

At least get an S10 body for it! A P/U long bed may be about right.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A CJ-8 might fit better than a CJ-5. You could always cut the 5 behind the front seat and splice in some sheet metal. Build kind of a home-brew CJ-6. Either that or loose some of the lower sheet metal on the K5. Thats what I'm doing.

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

A S-10 would work but I have the heep body already.I thought about cutting the Blazer body but it still is too wide.I was thinking of leaving the heep body stock than putting a little flat bed behind it.Brady

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah a CJ-8 or CJ-6 would be the ticket but have you tried to find one!There just not out there unless you want to spend a bunch of cash.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If its already bashed up, who cares. Let it ride. OR take a look at MTPockets rig. Its in the project vehicles page. He had a sweet looking ride and went all happy w/ the sawzall. Now it is mean lookin. If the wheels are still the widest point of the rig, a narrower body wont be of much help. At least that way the body will be a slider of some sort to keep you from hanging up on the tires. Battle scars.

I personally am into mud but I do understand the rock crawling squeezing between 2 rocks or trees side of our sport too.

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Putting a JHEEP body on a Blazer frame?
    that would be a waste of a perfectly good frame

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

It already is chopped up some what.36" swampers with 2.5" of lift and no rub.I also started chopping the front below the headlights yesterday.Tired of the body hitting before the tires.Pulling the hood and planning on building a lighter one from aluminum diamond plate.No inner fenders now also.As far as a narrower body not helping it does help a bunch when the tire goes over a big rock and the rocker just drops on it and hangs up.

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Also part of the reason for doing this is for the weight loss I would have.A jeep body is much lighter than a Blazer.

13. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got a powdercoated k5 frame kicking around and a friend had a decent CJ body so we were gonna build a hybrid like your talking about. Our plans were to leave the CJ body mostly stock and cut the frame down as much as we could, then tube the entire thing with a full cage like a rockbuggy. The CJ fenders would have been cut so that the longer wheel base wouldn't be a problem with running 44's and a 4" lift. We got to busy with other projects though, and the 44's ended up under a '57 Willy's pickup.

14. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

theres one in four wheeler april 02 pg 50

15. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

Forget the Heep body...Extracab S10 cab on a K5 frame, baby!

16. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Need a rear seat for the two boys.

17. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I think the wheel base of an S-10 blazer is 104" and the K5 is 106?? this would work pretty good, well if you had an S-10 body /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

s-10 standard cab short box is 107"
    73 to 91 blazer 106.5" PDC if you ask me.