Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heep? ticking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am currently driving a 73 Jeep CJ5 with the 304 V8. I am getting a ticking noise from what sounds to be the number 7 cylinder. I am thinking it is a lifter, but I want to know what you all have experienced and think.

It ticks lightly when you start it up and gets louder as the motor warms up. It does appear to be RPM sensitive, and it isn't an exhaust leak. I have exhaust leaks too, but this is apparent that it is not an exhaust problem. Would a loose rocker arm do this? lifter? ... Thanks

Harley

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just talked to a buddy of mine whos huge into jeeps...says pull the valve cover, check the rocker arms..tighten them up... let me know how it comes out... he says its zero clearance so make it nice and snug..

3. Hossbaby50

sweet. I will try that this weekend. I already bought new valve cover gaskets. I was planning on popping the valve covers this weekend to see what I could see anyway. Thanks

Harley

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

yeah a loose rocker will rattle like a mofo...I set my valves on my bbc by loosening em up and running them as the motor is running..

actaully was talking to Wade yesterday about heads and stuff. He said that if a valve seat is SHOT, the valve could start to suck up into the valve pocket and stick, causing ticking noises...

my 350 ticked like a mofo with 10w30 then I went to 15-40 and it was a helluva lot quieter...

Chris

5. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

I once had the same thing on my jeep. It turned out to be a count down timer till self destruct /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good luck

6. Hossbaby50

I am running straight 30W oil so I don't think I am going any thicker. So are you going to add those heads to your motor? Is it really worth it. You are already destroying parts without them and it runs like a raped ape. Might invest that cash in some 1350's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Crossover & hydro assist wouldn't be a bad investment with those 37's either.

Harley