Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heep TJ with DW (will this change our approach to cure?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Mar 17, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Yup, yesterday i was coming home from weighing my new trailer, and i was next to a TJ with a pretty good size suspension lift, body lift and 35" Baja Claws. when the light turned green we took off, and sure as $hit, between 25-35,his TJ started to DW. Man, i know it feels bad when you are inside, but to see it on the rode from a spectator posistion was INCREDIBLE!! the wheels almost seemed to go in/out seperatley. i saw him gas it, then he started to whip the wheel back and forth to get it to stop. eventually it did, and he was cruising like nothing happened.

Now, TJ's are coil sprung, trac-bars, etc. does this change our prognosis on how/why this happens????

rob

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've seen that too, on the coil-sprung ones and leafed. I think I've saw it on a Ford too, but just out-of the corner of my eye, he was going the other way.

It's a disadvantage to the solid axle design,
    Anything that effects one tire, is going to effect the other tire and at some-point it's going to hit the "sweet-spot". The only thing I think we can do is to try to keep the axle tight (wheel-bearings/ball-joints/tie-rod ends/spring-bushings, ect..). Any slop in the system would be a place for the vibrations to originate from.

And try to dampen it, something to cancel out the bad vibes.

I'm sticking to my Original idea on the other post. I really think that would be a way to go. In my opinion.
    (Get rid of any worn parts or slop. Loosen and retorque everything. Set the alignment to spec. and go from there.)

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

DW?
    Darrell Waltrip?
    Driveline....?
    decode it please./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

DW= Death Wobble

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I see.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

doesnt change my mind
    have you seen the flimsy tie rod on a jeep

7. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Thanks!I was wondering a while back that what that means.

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yup, good point.

looks like a mcdonalds straw!!

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to be an a$$, but I don't think the stock Heep tie-rod is going to be used on the swapped in D60. I would assume they would get that with the axle as the ends are much smaller on the Heep. Just a thought. Not saying that it can't be the tie-rod, I'm sure a flimsy or worn one will cause problems, but we have members on here running RockStomper rods and they still are having a problem.

The only thing I can make of all the posts is that maybe there are different items that can all cause DW. Any one item can trigger it, and the more you have worn the harder it is to figure out, that's why we don't have the "cure all" solution yet (as there is none)

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I missed where he said swapped in 60

11. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I think my 95 F-150 have had something similar DW too. it had a 4" lift. when driving around 20- 40 mph if I hit a bump one front wheel would start bouncing up and down uncontrollably. I had new shocks so this wasn't the problem. and this truck was ttb

12. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

The death wobble in TJ's is related to caster i get 1 or 2 a week in the shop as soon as you adjust the cams on the lower arms no more death wobble.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with caster as the culprit there. I've seen quite a few jeeps, even comanche's and cherokee's that get drivewobble after they lift (Rancho 4" used to be horrible with the comanchee). A small caster adjustment would fix it every time. What really sucks is to get it at freeway speed and have to slow down to under 20 before it goes away! As for the Blazer... I've only experienced it with the steering stabalizer disconnected but then again I've never rotated my pinion up or down on the front so the caster is still correct.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so what is the caster number that causes/cures it?
    2 of you post caster but niether spills the numbers????

15. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i dont see why changing the caster would NOT cure the DW. esp. after the 2 above posts. like mj said,,,how about some numbers??

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I don't remember what the Jeeps were at when it had the DW, but I recall we returning them to 5 or 6 degrees positive caster to correct it.

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So my curiosity was killing me, so I called up those folks I used to work with on the Jeeps. Here's the scoop!

So the Caster contributed to the problem but wasn't the source of it. From what everyone said, it's actually a Toe-In problem that was the original cause and the Caster which assisted in making it so violent. The larger tires in a toe in condition can get a folding effect which is the tire trying to track to the road independently of the rim due to sidewall height. Thats the innitiating wobble. The Caster much like a wheel on a shopping cart which has near 0 caster (upper and lower knuckle are straight up and down with each other) will start Death Wobble as a result of the folding motion on the toed in tire. Caster by itself will usually cause the steering to pull one way or the other but a 0 caster can be triggered into death wobble by bumpy uneven roads as well.

I'm glad this subject came up, it helped to pull together some old knowledge!

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what were the before numbers?
    were they closer to 0 or closer to 10

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Like I said, I don't recall. Mostly because I wasn't doing the work, just worked with those who did.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thanks for adding some good leads