Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heepster commando on K5 chassis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jun 5, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a Heepster Commando body and chassis which is in good shape and I have a complete Blazer Chassis with complete running drivetrain and I want to put them together. It seems to me that it would be easier and better to put the Heepster body on the Blazer chassis instead of adapting the whole Blazer drivetrain to the wimpy looking chassis of the Heepster. The Heepsters wheelbase is a about 101 and the Blazer is 106 so I would need to shorten the chassis on the Blazer a little. I am a pretty good welder and I feel confident that I can put it together in a stong and safe manner. Has anybody here done something similar, any tips and things to consider. Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

width comes to mind as the first obstacle if the two are close in wheel base. In general the k5 is just a much larger vehicle it seems. Bust out the tape measure and see what you come up with.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I remember several years ago I bought a receiver hitch from a buddy with an S10, and I was surprised to find out that the S10 frame rails were further apart. At where the hitch bolted on. I was just surprised there was a difference.

The moral of the story is - as resurrected jimmy stated - get the tape and see what you find out. You never know.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Don't shorten the frame....

Extend the wheel cutout on the rear of the Jeep...! :thinking:

Marv

5. bajaviking

Marv, thanks for your comment, since it's only 5 inches it could probably be done and still be made so that it looks good. That is for sure a better and easier option than cutting the frame. I guess I will know when I have the body on the chassis.

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2........that would get rid of the big overhang on the rear also. How's the metal? I got a 68 myself. But rather than try to keep building it to get to where I wanted to be, I just decided to go Blazer instead. Of course now I'm replacing the whole drivetrain to get there, but in the meantime the Jeepster is pacifying my fix.
    Good luck and post up pictures if you can. I'm very interested in the build.

7. bajaviking

The metal is pretty good, I just need to sand it down and paint it. I basically bought it because the Commandos are kind of uncommon and I like the long wheelbase but the stock Heep parts from 69 are just not going to work for me.

By the way, does anybody need a Dana 27 front diff. with drumbrakes, I will sell it for cheap :doah: :haha:

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

This is a "stretch" that I'm doing on my brother's TJ right now....

Added 18" to the wheelbase.... :eek:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marv

9. bajaviking

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Marv???

You're a nut!!!

11. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I went and kept the body and frame on a '71, stretched it to 104 wheelbase with a 14sf & dana44. The th350 & 205 went in easy enough also, but yesterday I dropped in a 400sb, and I'm running out of room for the radiator.:hack: I still think it is less work than swapping frames, but I may change my mind on that before I get done.:doah:
    I think best advantage may be a tighter turning radius with the commando frame, but the only blazer I have to compare it with does not have crossover steering, so it turns pretty wide.

12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Unfortunately they are kinda worthless to 4 wheelers........hard to give away. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but most upgraders go for a 30 or 44.
    If it has 11" drums someone might want those.