Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI Advance Curve in a BBC Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Oct 18, 2004.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 402 w/ .5" roller cam in an '87. The HEI needs an advance curve and shim bac, so I'm diving in this evening. I'm planning on using the baseline advance kit from Mr. Gasket w/ 22degrees by 3000 RPM. The goal is 12 deg initial @750 rpm w/ 32 total (init + cent) by 3000 rpm.

Feedback/recommendations?

The existing curve is rediculous, it does not even start advancing until about 3K.

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Just finished cleaning up the HEI this morning. I used a Mr. Gasket distributor shim kit to bring the end play down from .3" to .025". Since the heads and manifold have been milled, the distributor housing also required shimming to avoid bottoming out in the oil pump drive.

Regarding the advance curve, the Mr. Gasket cam and weights are junk. The weight bushings would not slide well on the pins. I did however use the silver springs from the kit and now actually have some centrifugal advance. The truck gets up and walks now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif