Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI clicking?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Well, I went through the beast and replaced both valve cover gaskets and painted up the engine and headers. Almost looks new. Well, I start her up and hear a clicking sound. I figured the leaks were costing me about $04 per year.

At first I thought I maybe got a valve cover tweeked at a lifter was hitting it. I put a wooden dowl on the valve cover and in front of my ear and couldn't hear the clicking. The clicking is comming from the HEI distributor.

I had a little trouble taking the spark plugs and ring off. Could something have broken inside that is causing the clicking? I haven't had time to check my timming but I seriously doubt it moved and if it did it didn't move far enough to throw the timming way out. I don't think I put it on backwards either.

Any ideas? It is the original HEI system from a 76 chevy, 350 4bl &TH350

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>How loud is the clicking? Was it there before, and did you mess with it (distributor)? I would just pull off the cap and see if there is anything loose under there. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd guess something simple...like spark jumping from a loose boot...don't think there is anything in the caps that will cause a "ticking" like lifter tap...I've left a boot loose before and got this sound...of course, I've been rwong before...JD