Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI distributor or what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Mar 3, 2005.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I am converting my carb to TBI, what year or type of distributor do I need? Is it an HEI dist. Or from what year trucks do I get one for a 350sb? Thanks for your help.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 2 TBIs use a HEI with remote coil as standard. I believe they all did after about 87??

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Old HEI is different fromt he newer ones. But I read somewhere that you can change a few things and use the older(coil in the cap) style HEI.. Cant remember where though.

www.chevythunder.com is a good site for info on TBI systems, what you need and points out some differences in years...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Basically any injected Chev SB will net you a useable distributor. (within reason of course)

I don't believe on a truck there is any problem running either the "big cap" or "small cap" distributor with TBI, so a distributor off of say a 1986 TPI camaro could be a donor. So would a TBI camaro.

Somehow apparently you can make the 1981-1990 CCC car/truck distributors work I am told, but I'm not up on that.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Small cap vs. big cap:

[​IMG]

From www.chevythunder.com:

"Be careful in pulling a distributor to use on your TBI engine. The distributor to the left is used on the 1987-1992 Caprice, Camaro/Firebird. Note the smaller base as compared to the distributor on the right, these larger base distributors were used on some 1992 and all 1993 TBI equipped engines, such as the Caprice. They use the TBI throttle bodies which are held down with two studs for the air cleaner, and the manifolds are machined for the large base distributor they use. They will not interchange.

There has been a lot of controversy concerning the interchange of the distributors using a large cap HEI on a 1987 and later block and using a small cap distributor on earlier blocks. I have personally witness a small cap distributor on a late model engine with the center bolt heads, only to pull the intake and find it has a conventional flat tappet cam! So I can assume that this can be done safely without the distributor gear being chewed up by the cam gear, especially if you see on from the factory this way and closer inspection did not show the wiring harness to be modified. "