Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI Distributor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tweetysuarus, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Has anybody ever used a Proform Hi-Performance HEI distributor before? Or have you ever heard of it? I just want to know cause I just ordered one through Jeg's for $159.99!
    Proform High Performance HEI Distributor
    100% New Parts!
    These high performance HEI distributor produces a 50,000 volt spark through 7500 rpm, offers true spark alignment for instantaneous voltage response, a high performance advance curve, plus a high performance coil and cap with brass terminals. Also includes a low-saturation ignition module for maximum spark intensity and high output coil. I hope this thing is a decent distributor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Bill

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I bought one from them with a vac. advance, it work as good if not better than a new stock one. I upgraded it with an "Accel" coil, cap, and rotor. No problems so far. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Tweetysuarus

Thanx for the feed back. I hope I have as good luck with it as you have. I do have Accel coil & control module here on my old distributor, so I think I'll salvage those out since they are only a couple of weeks old.
    Bill

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

If your going to pitch your old distributor, you might consider this. You can pull the guts out of it and get someone you know that has a lathe to machine the gear off down flush to the shaft. Leave the housing intact, makes an excellent oil pump and engine primer if you ever need one. Just install in the manifold like you would the distributor, get a drill and prime away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Tweetysuarus

I already have oil primer. And I am going to send out my old distributor to get totally rebuilt with hi-performance parts and have the thing recurved!
    Bill

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I just PM'ed you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I ran one for a long time in my car, only took it out to go msd. I have had the pro form (with msd guts) in my k5 since oct and have had never had any problem with it. I would buy another if I needed one.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can take the gear off a distributor with a bench grinder. Also, you can remove the advance weights without taking it apart.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dont ruin a good HEI one to make a tool from, just find an old points type one to do that with /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif stock original HEI are going ot get hard to find in the future, and carbs too, only certain number wer emade and their numbers are dropping fast, its hard enoguh to even find a 350 running anymore they all end up actually being a 305

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got one that got trashed when my cam broke in three pieces, I'm gonig to use that one.

11. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    dont ruin a good HEI one to make a tool from, just find an old points type one to do that with /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif stock original HEI are going ot get hard to find in the future, and carbs too, only certain number wer emade and their numbers are dropping fast, its hard enoguh to even find a 350 running anymore they all end up actually being a 305

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with don't ruin a good HEI unit! I am rebuilding my old HEI with performance parts.
    Bill