Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI ignition?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Jul 22, 2001.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

Hey guys, just one quick question. I have an 89 V1500 Jimmy and I was wondering if I had HEI ignition or not. I wanted to tune up with new wires, cap, coil, etc. but I'm not sure what all I have and what i should replace. It just runs a little sluggish and needs a tune up. Its an 89 with the 350 TBI. Thanks for any reply. see you guys on the trail. PS. anyone near Pensacola Florida?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sure do - everything after 74 came out of the factory with HEI

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. purple89jimmy

Thanks Pugsley. Any recommendations on what all should be changed? Everything is original (1989), I know plug wires and distributor cap, but what else?

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would go new cap and rotor... change the fuel filter, check the timing and some NGK or AC Delco plugs. Also you could upgrade to a msd coil... gap your plugs at .060 and get anice gain w/ a high quality set of plug wires like taylors or msd's. Just one word of warning... the system you have has a different coil then the other setups(the coil is used in 87-95 TBI's and in some F#@d's) and it is a external coil HEI BTW.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

While you are at it, I'd replace the HEI module, the fuel filter, and the O2 sensor - all are cheap and easy, and should be replaced on a regular basis.[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

would the distributor setup from an older vette work here with the hei coil in the top of the cap ??
    my old 75 stingray had that set up and it was a pretty hot ignition

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, the later HEI has the coil seperate. The caps aren't even close to the same.

Aftermarket ignition boxes and that would be a total waste of money. It doesn't take much to light the fire in a stock engine. Good new stock components are nice to have and very reliable. I say cap, rotor, good wires, plugs, new module, fuel filter, oil change and filter, (use Napa Gold filters) O2 sensor if you've got one, check ignition timing, new air cleaner, you know, all the basic expendalble cheepies, just replace them.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. purple89jimmy

This is why I LOVE this site. You guys are great at responding to questions and I get enough input from a lot of people to make an informed decision. I am pretty much on track with you all, I put on a K&amp;N filter, new O2 sensor, I have a fuel filter waiting for me to put on, and I will change the wires,distributor cap, and coil. The only question I have left is what and where is the module?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The module is the black box inside the distributor. When you change it be sure to coat the bottom with the white grease stuf that comes with the new module. Or it will burn out.

<font color=orange> You are just jealous, because the voices only talk to me.</font color=orange>