Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI Install Complete

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, Jun 30, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Oct 16, 2004
    Finally got the HEI swapped into my 70 K5. GM was giving me fits. The HEI dist for a 250 is a SBC unit with an extension pinned to the end of the shaft to drive the oil pump. Of course, the extension is a discontinued piece. Found one at a dealer in Denver. $26 with shipping for a piece of steel 2 inches long!!!! Took bout 20 minutes to get running, had to dig thru my pile of plug wires to find ones close to the right length, that took most of the time. The old girl runs better, but I still need to rebuild the carb, cause it sat for 3 years. Overall, between my stereo install and the ignition upgrade I'm making progress. Next step, installing the OE radio and below dash speaker I found.
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I had the one out of my 79 C10's 250 six!--I would have sold it to ya for 25+ shipping!...I have no use for it--unless,from what you are saying,I could put a V8 pickup coil in it and run it in a smallblock without the "extension"?..never realized the 6 and 8 cylinder distributors are the same housing!...learn something every day I guess.... :crazy: