Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI installled...but loud noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Oct 25, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Well I got the new distributor in, coil on and connected, plug wires run and new 10 guage wire ran to fuse panel. When I tried to start it, it began to turn over and then all of a sudden it made a bang like a gun going off. It was getting late so I decided to call it a day. I'm going to check all the wires to make sure they are hooked up correctly, but I hope I didn't do anything too bad.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

make sure you have all the basics covered
    1) DISTRIBUTOR IS SEATED PROPERLY... NOT BINDING ON THE GEAR

2) it sounds like you have it out of time... are you sure you have it installed correctly? TDC at #1, rotor at number one, wires on cap correctly?.... Im sure you will find you are out...especially if it wanted to start...
    cam

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure you aren't 360 degrees out on the crank. The timing mark might be at 0 and the rotor pointing at number 1 cylinder, but it could be on the wrong stroke. It's a common mistake. You can either pull the distibutor and rotate the engine 360 or put the rotor pointing to number 6 cylinder. I don't know if that is the problem, but something I would check as many of us (myself included) have done from time to time.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like timing is off. very easy to screw up. done it quite a few times /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

check for ground strap from coil to correct pin on connector