Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blue83k5, Apr 18, 2003.

1. blue83k5

blue83k5 Newbie

A Mr. Goodwrench mechanic told me that my 4 wire computerized HEI can run without the computer interference by splicing two of the four wires that come out of the back of the distrbutor but could not remember which two. Anybody done this before? If so, which two????
    thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It can be done, but I am not sure the wires to splice. Mine was done by a local speed shop, and they bypassed the timing control computer in my 85. Sorry I can't help you more, but yes it can be done.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Read this. On that page will be the directions. Its VERY easy to do. I wish I had known it myself when I was building mine.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And you want to disable it why?

Just saying, if it works, save the info on how to work around it for when you have problems.

5. Pure Insanity

I guess I should add that if you disable the computer for the dist., you better not be running a computerized carb. They go hand in hand from the same computer. They read off eachother to know what to do.

6. blue83k5

blue83k5 Newbie

thanks for the link. The distributor is the only thing left that is computerized. It is causing sluggishness and stall at low rpm and one heck of a backfire not to mention it keeps jumping time. thanks for the help...

7. Pure Insanity

No problem.

I coulda just told ya which wires to connect, but look at all the extra knowledge you picked up reading that page. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif