Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What is this I keep hearing about recurving the dist?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can change the mechanical and vacuum rate and peak advance through weights, springs and canister adjustments. This will set the peak mechanical advance as well as how soon it reaches peak advance due to rpm, the vacuum canister has peak as well as rate adjustements to dial in how much advance you get at full vacuum and how quickly it changes position. This is all in reference to aftermarket kits as the stock canister is not adjustable. These help dial in power and dial out ping (wide open or part throttle).

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ah ok, was wondering cause i have to replace my vacuum advance canister cause its not working anymore. So this means that I would be better off getting an adjustable one versus a stock replacement.

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Muddytaz,

Those adjustable spring kits and vacuum advance are junk. Go to a shop who has a distributor curving machine give them your enginesize, cam profile, comp. ratio, tire size, gear ratio, carb size, and primary use of the truck and they can set it up perfectly and tell you where to set your initial advance. I did this 4 years ago, 30 bucks, have never touched it since, runs better than ever. Lots of power and no ping.
    By the way I live just down the road in Sherwood.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

cool....i go out to sherwood all the time....U-PULL-IT /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Another question about the adjustable advance: I have one on my HEI but I dont have it plugged in right now because when I do, the ilde jumps up and when im driving it runs very bad, would this mean that I have too much advance in it and need to dial it down some, I know i should just tinker with it and find where it runs best with it plugged in but im lazy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't say they are junk. If you never do anything to your truck and just drive it, then getting the dist curved at a shop is a good one time investment. But if you start making changes to your engine / drivetrain (like most avid 4-wheelers), having a curve kit is a lot less expensive and relatively painless as opposed to getting the dist curved at a shop every time you make a change. In fact, if I had my choice, everything on my whole truck would be adjustable.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have it plugged into manifold vacuum as opposed to ported vacuum. Ported and manifold are the same but ported has no vacuum at idle and at part throttle engages to manifold vacuum. A Q-Jet has ported vacuum on the front of the carb, at the bottom drivers side.

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

ok, where is the ported vacuum on an edelbrock 1406 carb?

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it got me thinking but I just don't remember.