Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hei question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Dec 18, 2002.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

my 72 350 has the stock points ignition. what are the pros and cons (if any) for the hei? what are the best brands, prices, how hard are they to install, is it really worth it... my dad says its not to bother with it, but he is kinda lazy, so... thanks for the help

hailey

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont think that there are any Cons at all. I have updated all of my older vehicles and have never looked back. Basically you just drop it in and set it up like any other dist. and hook up the one power wire too an accesory hookup and go. You could get one from a junkyard.

3. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Check out Summit Racing. I bought one of their GM HEI's that is totaly rebuilt and blue printed. It comes with a hotter coil and a few other upgrades. It also comes with extra springs if you want to dial your advance in to your set up. It comes complete with cap and rotor and it's ready to drop in(I dropped it in right out of the box). It was about $150.00 when I bought mine. Not that a junkyard isnt a good idea but for the money you wont have to worry about any problems. If your on a tighter budget I believe around here a rebuilt HEI from the local parts house is about 50 or 60 bucks(this is a stock replacement with no goodies added on, but it's also a good way to go). Last thing is you can buy a spendier set up but you wont gain much by that, and remember you need a full constant 12 volt source ran to the HEI. Dont use your existing resistor wire you'll have problems if you do. JMO Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have electronic in mine and have no regrets. I put an accel supercoil and some decent wires on it too. Like a previous poster stated, make sure you use a full 12 volt power source, not the existing wire that powers the points dist. I use R45TS plugs and have had good luck with the system all around.

John

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got mine from the j.y. for 15 bucks.put a new cap and rotor and wires and it ran good.rehooked up my msd to it and have had no problems yet except i hooked it up to the stock power wire and burnt out the fusable link.i just rehooked a power wire to the accesory spot on my fuse box and it runs good now.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The only con I can think of is that the things don't fit too good in some GM 4x4s. I had to beat the tar out of my firewall so that I had room for the GM large-body HEI. A guy by the name of Dave Ray converts GM points distributors to electronic operation and will set up the advance curve any way you like it. His prices are reasonable and the things look factory enough to be installed in 100 point show cars. All of the parts he uses are available at most auto parts stores, so you won't have any problems finding spare parts if you ever have a problem (unlike with a lot of the aftermarket electronic ignitions).

I posted about Dave a while back. Do a search for his name and you'll find his email and phone number.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a stock HEI from a newer chevy and it works great, Only con is my tach reads to high...

8. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I had went with the MSD ignition system a few years back. Right away noticed more power and better gas mileage, would definitely recommend this approach if you want to spend the money.

9. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Be careful to look under the cap if you buy one from the junk yard. Some of the early models are prone to "crossfiring" across the counter weights instead of the breaker points. This can often be fixed by rebuiding it, but the newer models are less likely to do this.