Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hei Rocks!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Jul 3, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

My buddy and me got the jimmy swapped over to HEI today. Aside from a small electrical fire everthing went pretty smooth. Speaking of smooth... the truck runs and drives like a dream. Like a brand new truck! My wife even like driving it better since it doesn't sputter and stumble. Awesome throttle response! I wish I would have done this a long time ago. Special thanks to everybody who replied to my 'HEI swap question' thread :bow: Bye, bye high maintainance.... hello, high performance. CK5 is the best thing that could ever happen to any truck.

7-03 007.jpg

7-03 005.jpg

7-03 006.jpg

7-03 008.jpg

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And the yellow wires are good for 8 more hp... :haha:

Do you have a pic from farther away showing the whole engine? I see some bling bling...

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Congrats on joining the 21st century... :wink1:

Now all ya need is some EFI.. :D

I run into so few points setups anymore that I cut the dwell wire off my timing light and made it a quick connect.. I was using it so rarely and it was getting in the way all the time... :haha:

4. littlejimmythatcould

Here ya go Divorced.... Just a little bling....

7-04.jpg

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do yourself one last favor and make sure the wire going to the coil has 12 volts and not 9 volts like some of the original points distributors had. If you only get 9 or so volts it will still run but things won't last as long. With a points distributor you only run 9 volts, either using a resistor coil, resistor wire, or a ballast resistor.

6. littlejimmythatcould

We got into the fuse box inside the truck and ran a wire from the 'ignition' spot on the fuse panel, there was nothing there and it tested hot when the key was turned. Ran some 12 gauge wire with an inline fuse to the 'batt' side of the coil. Started right up. I couldn't figure out what ballast resistor everyone was talking about unless they are talking about the one that is/was connected to my points coil on the mounting bracket. It runs and drives as good as my 1996 chevy pickup with fuel injection. I might try to find someone with a voltimeter and see what I'm actually getting at the power wire.

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Good job man, sexy lookin velocity stack ya got there also.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

My flattie jeep still runs points its kind of fun wathing the bewildered looks when I set the gap with a cigarette paper :D ....... I need to change the d*** thing over with a pertronix kit:doah:

Hey jimmythatcould, it looks nice, glad it worked out for you

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll need a 10 or 12 ga. wire to power up the HEI properly..find a spot in the fuse block that only gets 12V with the key "ON", AND with it held on "Start" too!(otherwise it wont fire when cranking!)...using an old wire from the points setup isn't going to deliver the AMPERAGE the HEI needs..the old wire may even read 12 volts on a voltmeter--but its a resistance wire,that reduces mostly the AMPERAGE,not so much the voltage,to make the points less likely to arc and burn up too quickly...dont use it for the HEI...

10. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah I ran a new wire to the fuse box. Thanks for the compliment on the velocity stack....they're few and far between. It was the only way I could think of to make the hood scoop truly functional. It's a 5 inch element that sticks out 3 inches above the hood to get cooler air. I'm contemplating fabing a air pan for it to totally seal it off from the engine bay to keep water and debis off of it. The scoop has baffles that I built into it to channel off any incoming water/rain out of the air for the motor.
    It's pretty cool to walk in front of the truck and hear the motor sucking in all that air through the mouth of the scoop.
    Couldn't have done it without you guys.