Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI swap ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Feb 10, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

HEI swap ??\'s

I swapped out my old points style distributor and swapped in a HEI distributor this last weekend. I can't seem to get the timing right. I heard today that when you do this swap, that you need to run a different wire to the coil on the HEI because the stock wire is too small and restricts voltage which will cause problems with timing and firing. Anybody know anything about this? I am going to swap it out for a 10 ga. wire and see what happens. The truck runs great until I plant my foot on the skinny pedal and the 4-barrels open up. Then it pings like a sumb*tch and actually loses power. I've tried several different timing settings (advanced and retarded). Kind getting irritating. Any ideas on this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Re: HEI swap ??\'s

Make sure you remove the ballast resistor that was in line with the stock coil! The HEI needs a full 12 volts! Basically, you need to run a 10 or 12 guage wire directly from a switched ignition source (must be hot when key is in both the "on" and "start" positions...)

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you remove the ballast resistor that was in line with the stock coil!

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the little round cylinder thing on the old coil, That's gone. If not, then I missed it.

[ QUOTE ]
    you need to run a 10 or 12 guage wire directly from a switched ignition source (must be hot when key is in both the "on" and "start" positions...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to hook up a wire from the stock location on the ignition switch to the coil. I'm hoping that will take care of it. Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The wire on your points style coil came from the starter solenoid and has only 7V or something when the engine is running. Remove this wire from the solenoid and discard it. You have to get power from another source that is 12v cranking and with the key on. I like to go directly to a unfused hot in the fuse box then install an ignition kill switch under the dash (theft protection)make sure you fuse the wire with an inline fuse and you'll be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

How big a fuse?

6. bigyellowjimmy

10 amp

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I ran the wire tonight after work from the fuse block to the HEI and it cured the problem! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'll install the fuse and a switch tomorrow. I just needed to get it fixed so I could drive it on the freeway. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

always run a good sized feed wire 100% copper strand from the IGN unfused slot on the panel with an inline fuse for HEI primary wiring
    conversion and abandon the old original points primary feed wire from the R terminal on starter solenoid and from ignition switch

good luck

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    run a good sized feed wire 100% copper strand from the IGN unfused slot on the panel .... for HEI primary wiring
    conversion and abandon the old original points primary feed wire from the R terminal on starter solenoid and from ignition switch

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where I hooked into last night using a 12 ga. yellow wire (yellow to keep wioth the stock color code). I'm going to hook up an inline fuse and under dash "kill switch" tonight so I don't burn anything up. I still need to adjust the timing a bit now, but it runs MUCH better than it did! Thanks for all the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. bigyellowjimmy

Glad that fixed your problem shane /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I got my small rocker switch at Radio Shack, tucked up under the dash nicely, install your fuse before the switch.