Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI tachometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Oct 11, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

somewhere I stumbled upon on the net yesterday, it said that if you had HEI that some tachs wouldn't give an accurate reading. Is this true? I have an on cheapy sunpro tach on my old '66 truck that just attaches to the negative side of the coil. I was considering taking it off that truck and putting it on the burb, attaching it to the "tach" terminal on the dizzy.

So will this tach work correctly. The thing I read said that even if the tach was giving you a reading, some tach's simply wouldn't be accurate with this type of distributor. If this one won't work, what will?
    thanks.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Should work fine , I have a Sunpro on my 83 with Hei .

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have not heard anything like that. mine works just fine, mine is also a sunpro.

i do know if you hook the tach up to the HEI and have a MSD box, it will throw it off big time, but you are suppose to hook it up the the msd box instead of the distributor.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive done it with no problems... Then I got a MSD 6AL and used its tach output.

5. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

my tach worked when I swapped on the HEI- it's an AutoMeter. BUT, it gives some WACKY readings sometimes, when I turn the lights on and have a turn signal going, or if the sub woofer is drawing a lot of power for bass, the needle jumps with the bass hits. I've tried seeing if bad grounds or connections were causing it but have never been able to track it down.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

hell, my speedo needle does that,, :p: :crazy: well, when the bass hits anyways :laugh: