Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI Upgrade on 72K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72k5chicago, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 72k5chicago

72k5chicago Registered Member

Does anyone have any advise for swapping out the old points distributor on my 72K5 (350 sb) to a new HEI distributor? Anyone already done this? I have been told its not really that hard, but I thought I'd "ask the audience" and see if there were any tips out there for making this go smoother first. Thanks!

2. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Pretty much a easy install. Just give the HEI a 12 volt key on(including power when cranking) power wire. One thing though, if you have an internal regulated alt. it may keep running when you turn the key off. I have had this happen on my 69 firebird and my 69 chevelle. You need to run a resistor in the field wire to the alt, otherwise the slight amount of power feeding back through the wire with keep the HEI going.Dan

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

On my 70 K5, there is a terminal in the fuse box marked "ign". I just ran 12 gauge wire from there to the hot feed of the HEI. I left the original ignition wires in place and just taped up the hot feed to the coil. Then you disconnect the 2nd small wire coming off the starter solenoid that only shows 12V when the key is on start.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

New dizzy, new wires, plug in.

Do NOT use the old power wire to the dizzy, though, as it has a resistor in it which will make the truck run like poo, if at all =)) Ask me how I know (previous owner, grrr)

As others have said, run a new, 10-12 AWG from the fuse box to the dizzy, so it's powered only in RUN and START, and you'll be fine.

-- A