Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEI Wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bobbyb650, May 17, 2005.

1. Bobbyb650

Bobbyb650 Newbie

May 17, 2005
    I have a 73 Blazer k5 4x4, and can't seem to find the wire that goes to my distributer. Was wondering if anyone knew what color the wire is that I should be looking for. Pink? Red? Orange? not sure but damn, having many headaches on this. Please help??
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    Well to start off with, 1973 did not use HEI. The first HEI was not used on GM vehicles until late 1974. The wire that goes to the coil with your points distributor is what now attaches to your HEI. You must make sure that the wire is 12 volts and not anything less. GM used one of two different ways of reducing the voltage for the points style distributor and they are either a ballast resistor between the ignition wire and + terminal on the coil OR a resistor wire. If it is a ballast resistor just simply elminate the resistor, if it is a resistor wire you will need to run a new wire from the igniton switch that is not a resistor wire.

PS. Welcome aboard this wonderful site. You will find tons of info here to help you out now and in the future. :thumb: