Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hei

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Jul 30, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Aren't you not supposed to disconnect plug wires with it running to see which one is missing?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

You can do it that way, just make sure you are wearing thick gloves in case it is a bad wire. Just find the one that doesn't make much or any change when disconnected and that's your culprit.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

According to GM..

All my GM manuals claim it can pop the module by leaving one wire off,or being burnt thru,etc..but real world experience is usually different than textbooks..

If the plug wire is far from a ground,and enough voltage builds up to finally jump the gap,thats the "surge" that will possibly pop the module..

I've seen hundreds of cars come in skipping due to plug wires roasted on headers,or just plain fell off,and the car keeps right on running,though poorly..in theory its quite possible,but they rarely seem to fail that often..

It's like the "test" to see if your alternator is charging,by pulling off one battery cable..it can pop the diodes doing that--but I've seen guys do it for 20 years,and only rarely does it cause diode failure..:crazy: