Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

height of factory console? comfy?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Oct 22, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok I am going to build a custom center console to house my stereo and changer controls, how tall are the factory ones? and are they useable for resting your arm on? any suggestions on height, currently I"m running factory seats but plan on replaceing them sometime next year. maybe..
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

The factory ones are pretty short. They are about even with the seat bottoms of the factory seats and are similarly "curved" on the top. NOT a good armrest....they are too low.

In terms of ergonomics though, I'm not sure that you can really make a center console high enough to really work. Look at the armrest on the doorpanel and imagine a center console that SAME height......YIKES! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In any case, there should certainly be plenty of room to build something bigger and with enough space to hold all your equipment.

Just my $.02 - I accept PayPal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. daveo

daveo Registered Member

I put a Tuffy console in mine. It fits great and has the padded top and seperate stereo (standard DIN) compartment. Great way to keep your audio secure when running topless and real easy to wire to/from. The Tuffy console sits about 18" high. I have custom high-back seats on K5 OEM brackets. The console is not really an armrest for me. Depending on your seats, it may sit high enough to use as an armrest, but I doubt it. I think they run about $250 new? I think thats pretty good for a high quality product that's a direct bolt-in and only takes about 30 minutes to install. I guess it all depends on what your time is worth??? Check out - http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/center/deluxe_stereo.html

Good luck!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, well my time is very precious with all I have going on during the week, but money is something that I just don't have much of. Going to two different schools (26 hrs) and trying to work enough to pay the bills

maybe I'll just measure some stuff up somehow.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Give Micheal a call. His is perfect armrest height even though it's in a 2nd gen. It looks tall, but when I ride in it, it's natural inclination to rest my arm there. Plus it holds a lot of chit! It really would hold a lot if it hadn't been designed for a jeep and was wider.

Console

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well I went with the arm rest idea already, but if it's not tall enough I'll just block it up some, thing that sucks is mine is narrow compared to his, rubbing the seats it's only like 9" or so on the outside, but it will work as planned, desinging the sliding/ flipping lid idea now..

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sliding flip over lid? Want me to take a pic of a cooler i have here with that kinda lid? Great idea!

Goin to work NT best today, can snap a pic tonite if you want it.

B.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well the way this is gonna work the top is gonna be padded vinal like most consoles but it will slide back about 5 inches or so to reveal the stereo, then it will flip up for the storage inside. when it is slid forward it won't lift up, still working on the security feature, haven't had a brain queve big enough to be realistic on a lock of some type