Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Height Sensing Brake Proportioning Valve......HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Feb 6, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hey, well, was gettin rdy to hit the home stretch on my lift and sitck on the back, well, was lookin at this funny lookin bracket comin offa the 14SF. Wondered what it was. well, grabbed the partially used owners manual and looked and it was this thing called a Height Sensing Brake Proportioning Valve. well, when i stick my lift on its gonna pull that bracket all the way out makin it so i have like no rear brakes. what do i need to do? thanks.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my suburban has that thing, when i lifted it, the braking was a little weak so i disconnected the arm and adjusted it to where i wanted it. now i have it set a little bit stronger than it should be and i'm thinking about lengthening it and putting it back on but it's fine with the arm disconnected.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got that on my K30. I'm thinking of just locking it in one position, maybe with a slot for easy adjustment. The problem with trying to use it on an off-road vehicle is that articulation is going to confuse the heck out of it. It's a really good idea for towing, hauling trucks that spend their time on the black top, but it just won't work if you get twisted up. I have enough variables to deal with as it is, having wildly varying brake strength in the rear is not something I want to add into the mix.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

fab a bracket to compensate for your lift.....

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

FWIW my '97 Dodge 2500 came "wired up" from the factory. I've seen them both ways. For an off-road truck, it may be better off that way, as Russ pointed out.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I extended my bracket and adjusted the brake pressure to the rear by bending the bracket holding the valve to the top of the diff. with a pry bar. You don't have to flex it to much one way or the other to make minor adjustment as long as you've extended the arm the length necessary to compensate for your lift.

Another idea (I might switch to this) is to replace the valve with a manually adjustable proportioning valve. Twist the dial by hand. Set it anywhere from full on to shut off. Would work great for off road. Might be a pain if you haul or tow a lot as you'd have to climb under to adjust everytime.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]