Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heim Joints/Highsteer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy, Sep 15, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

At my new job, i can get built axles for my blazer for little $$$, which will speed up the process on the soon to come axle swap. I am planning getting a 14ff with 4.56r&p and a detroit rear and 8lug d44 with an open diff and 4.56s

I can get the 14ff for around $500 and the d44 for free minus gears and nuckles.

So i might as well do crossover at the same time right?
    One of the people i work with has a jeep with a GM drivetrain (ofcourse) and made his own steering using i think 1 1/4 inch solid tube drilled and tapped out for heim joints with regular threads one one end and reverse on the other. His draglink he also made out of the same stuff. His tierod is running over the springs via a custom spacer thinggy that is attached to his d44 ends, which allows it to go over the top.

What i want to do is basically copy this with a bent draglink and a tie rod over the top of the leaf springs. Anyone see any problems with this?

Sorry for the length.....Any info apreciated

2. jackedjimmy

ttt...
    with flat top knuckles, there would be a 3/4 plate extruding forward that is bolted through to the top of the knuckle. It would then be attached/pinched with a long bolt going through the original tierod hole with a nut.

I could do most of the steering for basically free ...just need the heim joints and some soild tube!!!!!!

3. jackedjimmy